Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winter ridin' just cost me a belt...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my talk in this forum about winter snowriding just came to a belt snapping end. After breaking trail in about 12 new inches of snow, meaning existing plus some new stuff and wind drifts in 4wd and low gear with the throttle "pegged" for about 20 miles, she finally blew. Not that I was surprised, just happy it happened about 1/4 of a mile from a neighbors house along my winter trail. I push my SP to the max, and found out today that belts are at least replaceable, but at the same time, wheres my tool box so I can get at the CVT/belt? Now its back out to the trail tommorrow with a set of sockets and a new belt in -15 degree weather to put in a new one. I don't mind leaving the SP in the extreme cold, if need be, I can always reach the battery with a set of jumper cables. Oh well, I'll probably still drive my SP all winter, just keep out of the semi-packed and au-natural stuff and keep to the sled packed trail. Just a question for you winter riders, how much fun do you have crossing a highway that has been recently plowed, leaving a nice stretch of hardened/packed snow that likes to bog down your quad? If I'm not the only one, I'll be totally surprised.

Old 12-21-2000, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

It's hard for me to understand that kind of terrain. It's DEFINITELY alot different here in Mississippi...it's getting down to 15 tonite and the stores don't have any milk or bread. I just put a 30,000 BTU heater in our workshop so's we can work...I'd freeze to death up there.

Old 12-21-2000, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear your belt snapped, get a goodyear gatorback replacement and it won't happen again, the belts construction is pound for pound stronger than steel.
I have'nt snapped a belt yet and surprized, in this winter weather I love to push my scrambler to its limits in the snow and ice, it gets to the point were I can smell the belt burning.
My favorite thing to do in the snow is pop the machine into reverse, push override and hold full throttle for about 20 feet then slam the aux. foot brake for the rears, spin the machine around then put it in forward and lay right on the throttle without letting up.
I LOVE SNOW!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-21-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, so I'm heading into town for a new belt tomorrow, I'll be looking for a gatorback belt, if they have them in my cold neck of the woods. Anyone know what the size is, or part number of a Dynomax belt, which is what I "think" I have in remnants in my belt housing. I've got to write this down so I know what to look for if I see belts go on sale, or just the one I need now, for cross-reference.

Old 12-21-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

The size of your belt is:
Top Width= 1 3/16"
Outside Circumference= 40 7/8"

I'm telling ya guy if I were you I would'nt buy another dayco max belt your wasting your money, get the goodyear gatorback I can tell you right now that the way you ride your machine, your going to need this belt it's been engineered for high speed high horse use, uses heavy duty guage Flexten Cord which is five times stronger than steel, plus a special tire cord supports the Flexten cord for extra load carrying capacity. Flexten fiber cushion and fabric covered cogs increase heat resistance making it very unlikely for the belt to snap wi'll provide a longer belt life.
You can pick one up for around $36 bucks, thats not bad because you also getting piece of mind knowing that you can ride hard and not need to worry about a belt snapping.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-21-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Scramdaddio, I just exploded a Dayco belt, and will not be looking for another. But thanks for the belt info, that is what I was looking for. Around here, the average belt cost is 40 bucks CDN for a cheapie, to 70 bucks CDN for a better one. thats 26-40 bucks US. I hope to find the gatorback tomorrow, before dreading the waltz in the bush to retrieve my frosty Sportsman.

Old 12-21-2000, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hamilton must be in North Mississippi. Its only getting down to about 25 down here in Wilkinson County.

But I agree, I would also freeze to death. My skin is already cracking and bleeding from the dry air. If the humidity gets below 70%, I start itching all over.

Later Guys

Old 12-22-2000, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Just a little reminder,

Don't forget to look up in the breathers for remnants of the old belt. They have a habit of flying up there only to come back down later and mingle with the new belt and pulleys. You sure don't want to pull the cover off again to clean out the belt parts in this weather.

Old 12-22-2000, 12:15 AM
MNT
Pro Rider

"in 4wd and low gear with the throttle "pegged" for about 20 miles"

Don't you think this was a bit unrealistic to not expect anything to break?

Old 12-22-2000, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

The next thing you know is he or someone reading his post, will exclaim that "polaris" is a piece of garbage, because it's belt broke....
I know it's his to do with as he wants, but this posting, taken out of context, can leave the wrong impression.
Thanks for the info on the Goodyear belt.
weetoots

Quick Reply: Winter ridin' just cost me a belt...