Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to take off CVT belt cover (Hawkeye)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to take off CVT belt cover (Hawkeye)

Has anyone taken off the CVT belt cover on their Hawkeye? I'm trying to take mine off because it desperately needs bearing grease it's grinding really bad. I took off all the bolts from the outside that appear to hold it in place, the rear of the cover will come off about 1/8th of an inch, but the rest of the cover won't budge. There looks like there might be a bolt holding it from the backside near the front of the cover, but i have an oil cooler on mine that is blocking view of it, i'd rather not have to drain the oil and pull the cooler unless i have to.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

No bolt on the back side. Just a fewl dowl pins and the bolts. The pins seem to hang up on all the ones ive worked on, just pry around it to get it off.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Good avice and info, I just didn't want to break something, i pried and it came right off after a minute or two. I removed the bearing that is in that housing that helps hold the input shaft and repacked it. Much better now, the grinding coming from it was really loud.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

I prefer to tap the lower front cover with a rubber faced mallet. Its a good idea to grease the dowel pin during reassembly.
I know the grinding sound well. The bearing you greased was a sealed one, so it shouldnt have helped. I noticed that the bearing can move in an out in the housing so I placed a small shim behind the bearing to tighten things up- no grease. The grinding sound went away. It was so bad that it sounded like the belt was shredded.
I bet your grease is acting like a shim, but it will be short lived.

If anyone who reads this knows where to locate a better quality bearing let us know.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the grease is a short term fix, it gets louder the more you drive it and sounds like you're tearing something up, but when you take the belt cover off it's perfectly fine. I'm selling mine soon and won't be buying Polaris again...

Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

HEY WAIT!! Check the driven which is the rear wheel in the case the one connected to the transmission. I had the bolt that holds on the wheel come loose and it would rub on the inside of the case. DOES it only do it when you are moving or even at idle. I would check that for sure. And the bearing here in canada for that is only 2.98 for a new one most industrial parts shops will and should have that in stock it is a very common bearing. I would not replace any polaris bearings with a new polaris bearing.
Just my .02

Good luck Erik trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

At high idle mine will grind, if you turn the idle way down to where it's barely running it doesn't do it.

A very loud hum might be the better way to describe the noise.

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I had that rattle also and installed a .020 shim under the chinese bearing, noise is gone completely. The bolt on my secondary wasn't very tight at all so that may be an issue with some.....

Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have heard many sounds from grinding, humming, clanging, to knocking...I am not impressed.

Its not the bolt because there are no marks inside the case.

Trailblazzers- Whats wrong with the Polaris bearing?? someone must make it for them...

Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

OK well nothing is wrong with the polaris bearing but in my experience polaris nuts,bolts,bearings, the famous self tappers, has not been that great. Now as to the noise the front clutch weights as well as rear should not be engaged when it is idling(belt not rotating) If you are hearing the noise when it is idling then it is not in the belt or the clutch side, the belt as well as both of the drive wheels in there do not move at idle(don't know what rpm it is at right now) You could try runing it with the cover off and watch the operation of the driven and the clutch weights up front. Have you checked your rollers to make sure they are not broken. Witjh it all apart and tyhe belt ioff you can rotate the front clutch wheel and listen to hear if the rollers are loose or here if it sounds like there are loose bits in side. Does the EBS work good if not then it could be a noise comming from behind the driven(rear wheel) the spring behind there is what engages the EBS. It is hard to help when you are not there but i am still learning as to the hawkeye, So fasr i have it running good and no noises. I have the 10 gram rollers i am thinking of switching in the clutch but i will wait and see if there is any problems yet.

If you remove the front clutching you will need a good impact gun, and mark the location to retighten to with the impact. there is a tool but the dealer did not have it. Also if you separate the two clutch sides at the front pay close attention as to the position, on mine there was a X on each piece to realign it when it goes back together.

Hope any of this helps..
Erik trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Quick Reply: How to take off CVT belt cover (Hawkeye)