Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Flip Flop 4 strokes out 2 srtoke in......

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flip Flop 4 strokes out 2 srtoke in......

On a clean burn 2 stroke you use less oil the a 4 stroke motor. Think about no oil changes so there is 5 quarts of oil there an not counting the fact a 4 stroke dose burn a small amount of oil. It is the blue smoke you talk about is what the tree hugers see an think it is worse. Think about the new desiels motor an the old motors an how much there is less smoke with them.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

'figured out, but what about the oil burning? When our snowmobile club has a big get together at the lake, after an hour or so there is a blue smog of exhaust hovering over the lake'

do you think the cars technology intented to be used will be like a case inducted 2 stroke with carbs and reed valves like the sleds does?!!
do you ever heard of DFI 2 stroke motors???
the technology to be used in cars is far away from the power sport engines...

Old 08-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]
Originally posted by: scramblered
'figured out, but what about the oil burning? When our snowmobile club has a big get together at the lake, after an hour or so there is a blue smog of exhaust hovering over the lake'

I live in a small town less than 5000. We have three huge truck stops. In the winter you can't breathe from the diesel fumes at night when the drivers are sleeping. At time I swear that you could light off the whole town. 2 stroke smoke is nothing compared to the smoke and pollution from diesel engines. Just my opinion.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

Diesel IS oil

Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ricknzep
Diesel IS oil
lol

Old 08-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know what you mean by "that is old news" and car and truck 2 stroke technology are hardly analogous to rec vehicles. While DFI is certainly the injection mechanism that will allow precise metering for cleaner burning the problem is that it only goes so far. Oil in the fuel is the problem for clean burn period. And in fact it is not yet well developed both technically or economically in cars as it is not yet routinely produced. While people will expect to pay more for the technology in cars i.e see hybrid--rec users are not going to tolerate large jumps in price to recapture R & D for Polaris or anyone else. Honda and others have a far larger budget to absorb that kind of development and therefore develop faster. Incorporating that technology into a rec. platform is not easy or inexpensive and therefore it has been slower to develop in this market.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

diesel engines are the most pollution ever had on the earth,,they only better to save some bucks on gas on long haul travel,,they smoke black all day long even when warmed up,,a 2stroke will only smoke at warm up,then is only a smell of oil,no smoke unless you're having too rich mixing through it,
when i say .old news. that because they let us known the final results of clean burning dfi outboard motors about 2-3 years ago,,cleaner than 4 stroke,so the time is to change furthermore then...

Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: xler8ion
I don't know what you mean by "that is old news" and car and truck 2 stroke technology are hardly analogous to rec vehicles. While DFI is certainly the injection mechanism that will allow precise metering for cleaner burning the problem is that it only goes so far. Oil in the fuel is the problem for clean burn period. And in fact it is not yet well developed both technically or economically in cars as it is not yet routinely produced. While people will expect to pay more for the technology in cars i.e see hybrid--rec users are not going to tolerate large jumps in price to recapture R & D for Polaris or anyone else. Honda and others have a far larger budget to absorb that kind of development and therefore develop faster. Incorporating that technology into a rec. platform is not easy or inexpensive and therefore it has been slower to develop in this market.
The "BIG 4" make money on big gas hog trucks...They won't even produce efficient 4-stroke cars let alone a clean burning 2-stroke car...just my 2cents

Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

BRP came out with there E-tec 2 stroke outboards, they are fast & light, that
is making the other outboard mfg. look at 2 strokes.