Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Die Hard Honda Man maybe turning towards Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few reasons. Others will add more, but these are the main ones that I can think of.

1. True 4x4. All wheels driving when needed. The drawback to that, is that you don't get the front pulling until the rears slip. Still, the system works very well. No way a Ruby will out do a Sportsman in the mud.

2. Better ride. Anyone who has rode one, can't deny that, no matter how big a fan of the other. Not only is the ride better, real nice seat too.

3. I believe, (not sure) that the new HO engine will also give the Sp the advantage in speed also, top and bottom.

4. Nice racks that you can actually put something on without it falling through to the fenders.

5. IRS. Not only does it give a better ride, but makes handling much better on uneven terrain.

6. Ground Clearance. Not only does it help in the mud and snow, but you can drive right over rocks that will leave anything else hung up.

7. AND.... Drumroll please....Two words....BRAKE LIGHTS.

Dave

Old 12-03-2000, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Jim, what in the world are you talking about ? We're talking about a Sportsman, not an Xplorer.

Dave

Old 12-03-2000, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Indy Dave for the info. Is it true Polaris has lifetime warrenty on the belt? That is one area I was always afraid about. This would take away this fear.

Old 12-03-2000, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

yes thats true polaris now gives you a lifetime limited warranty on their belts.

Old 12-03-2000, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Jim, What??? I dont know where you got that from.the only 2 stroke Polaris is the Scrambeler 400's, T-Balzer , and the Xplorer. Awesome 2 strokes too! So i dont know what your info is based on. And, there isn't a single chain on the sportsman.

Old 12-03-2000, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

What does LIMITEDlifetime warrenty mean??????

Old 12-03-2000, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Lance, I believe that what the "limited" lifetime warranty means is that the belt will be replaced free IF the dealer does the work.

You saying that that would take away your fear, is just what Polaris is looking for. The person not familiar with the system. For those who ARE familiar with it, we know that it really isn't a big deal. The belt cost is about $35, and you can get years of use out of one. You can change it yourself in about 30 minutes.

And I'm sure you know this already, but the Sportsman has no chains, is 4 stroke, and as for the auto trans, you'll love it or hate it. I wasn't sure how well I would like it. It took a while to get use to it. About 10 minutes. The system works flawlessly. It knows when you need power, and it knows when you want speed. It just works.

Everyone that I know that has a Sportsman, including myself has also owned a Honda. Nobody knocks the Hondas, but everyone says that they would never go back to one as thier main ride. If I needed a quad to feed the cattle, and mend the fences on the ranch, it would most likely be a 450S, or something that has been very reliability proven. But as long as my quad is my toy, and my therapy, it will be a Sportsman.

Dave

Old 12-04-2000, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer

Dave,Guess I don't know much about Polaris! I went on a ride in Ky three or four years ago, and there were two guys with us who had Polaris. One was a 4x4, the other was a 6 wheeler. They were both two cycle chain drives! I don't know exactly what models they were, just that they were big machines. I just had the idea that they were "common" Polaris. Sorry, think I'll check out the Polaris page, see what I can learn! Jim.

Old 12-04-2000, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

No problem Jim,

I think it's pretty safe to say that some improvements have been made in the lineup.

I see your from Indiana. We'll have to get toghether at the Badlands sometime. If you haven't been, it really is worth the trip. I just wish we had more places to ride here. I have yet to try Haspin Acres. From what I hear, it's not some place you want to take the kids, and it's hard for me to get away from mine.

Dave

Old 12-04-2000, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

it seems to me that most people that praise honda reliability are from the old school,they praise the 300 4x4 do they even make it anymore ? it seems to me polaris has come along way and so didnt honda..most of the problems and reliability of the 2 are from before,look at whats going on now,honda frame problems,brake,bearing problems,rubicon tranny problems,es shift problems
polaris belts problem,brake and steering problems.i think these are all real to the people that have had them..give it a rest they all have problems and i doubt honda is as reliable as it was,they dont make a 300 anymore,and i know polaris has gotten alot better..buy whatever you like best and to h*** with anyone that thinks otherwise.

Quick Reply: Die Hard Honda Man maybe turning towards Polaris