Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wireless winch remote

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Range Rover
Location: Central Valley Ca 1.5 hr to the Sierra Mts & 2 hrs to Pismo Beach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless winch remote

Has any one installed a wireless remote on a waren winch?
I saw one for sale on the net made by Ramsey and they claim it will work with any winch. But the Waren web site said it is not good to use a wireless remote.
Is this because they do not make one?

Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i still cant udersatnd why anyone would want a wireless winch in the first place. dont most or you try to winch and drive yourself out while your on the wheeler. i have a corded remote from warn that i didnt use because i sit on the bike to get out w/ or pull some one esle out. i should sell it on ebay i guess.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

That is because when you use a wireless remote the response time is slower with the wireless remote then with just the plain toggle

Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

I can tell you exactly why you might want a wireless winch remote.........when it's safer to be away from the ATV when winching.........and probably the best example was when one of our groups quad rolled down a ravine. Through a series of ****** blocks, we hooked it up with a quad with a wireless.......it was in the trees and very difficult to get to.
The wireless let us get up above it.....to a safe spot where we could watch it........and move it very carefully. (The quad with the winch was on a road below the wrecked ATV)
We were about 35-40' from the winching quad........a cord type hookup would have been a real pain........and would have had to be "threaded" through the trees. We were able to move freely about with the wireless.
The wireless was in it's own element that day.......and really proved it's worth.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Range Rover
Location: Central Valley Ca 1.5 hr to the Sierra Mts & 2 hrs to Pismo Beach

Originally posted by: stendori
i still cant udersatnd why anyone would want a wireless winch in the first place. dont most or you try to winch and drive yourself out while your on the wheeler. i have a corded remote from warn that i didnt use because i sit on the bike to get out w/ or pull some one esle out. i should sell it on ebay i guess.

We were trail riding at Hollister Hills in Ca Two weeks ago and my friend skided off the edge of the trail and landed 60 ft down the side of the Mt. It was too steep to walk down to check on him so i had to wait for some one to come along to run the winch while i repelled down to check on my friend. At this point his quad was still not in sight. I was able to wrap the tow strap around him and we were winched up.
With a wireless remote i would not have had to wait 20 min for some one to come along to help. As it turned out Don had nothing broken but was banged up pretty bad. A week later the rangers pulled the quad up 100ft.

So in this case a wireless remote would have come in handy, but as stendori pointed out most of the time one would sit on the quad and ride it out, but is is nice to have options.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

A winch remote is also great for spooling in the cable after you use the winch. When your by yourself you can stand in front of the ATV and keep tension on the cable with one hand and use the remote to wind in the cable.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats what the wifes for.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]