Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 700 Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006 | 04:58 PM
Range Rover
Default Polaris 700 Reliability?

You guys can defend polaris all you want but their reputation and history is still the same. Their fit and finish, and machining tolerances isnt nearly as good as the other brands. They squeak, rattle, vibrate, right off the showroom floor. Just because a machine is a few years old and you haven't had any problems means nothing. Give it about 7 to 10 years and the polaris literally dissenegrates. My favorite story is one that we had at the shop. Polaris trailboss 325....Went to change the oil on it and when we put the wrench on the drain plug to loosen it, the whole aluminum casting surrounding the plug just broke and fell into the drain pan.....3 inch ragged circle of alum. with the plug in the middle...Go figure

On a side note I actually like polaris for the simple reason that they make up 90% of my repair business at my shop. More $$$ in my pocket. Would I ever recommend one? NEVER!

Its pointless to argue with a keyboard so ill just leave it at that....Be forewarned.

Old 09-07-2006 | 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the 700 is a fine machine! i have owned many over the years and they have been 96% trouble-free. EXCELLENT choice.

~MT

Old 09-07-2006 | 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Ganggreen, wow, I bet the oil drained out quicker. I also run a shop where I service alot of brands. The funny thing is I have people with your attitude toward Polaris come in all the time. I also have just as many people come in with attitudes towards all the other brands. The biggest complainers I have are Honda owners. The guys who traded the bullet proof 300 foretrax for the rubicons and rincons and are mad that they wasted there money on them. I will agree that polaris has had a rep for being unreliable on the older bikes. But while honda had 3 inch suspenion and 14 horse powerplants polaris was taking on the comfort and the ability to go where those machines wouldn't dare. Along with a 30+ horse engine to go with it. So down them all you want to but if honda or any other brand were the leaders of inovation we'd still be riding on balloon tires and all the praying we'd be doing not to kill ourselves. You're not as too likely to have a breakdown if all you have is an engine and 4 tires. And before you say it, Not in anyway am I trying to degrade any other brand or you. I do respect your opinion. Oh, by the way. The military did extensive testing with atv's from all brands for use in the war on terror. Out of 5 major test, Polaris was the only one to pass them all. Including a 10 foot static drop. They must be doing something right, Polaris has the contract for the next few years.

Old 09-07-2006 | 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

I'll bet the military requires alot closer tolerances than the general public gets on the rest of the machines....I have been inside and done work for factories that machine parts for the military and the standards are always tighter....my 2 cents

The military requires sometimes retardedly too close of tolerances on something that could be wide open.... Thats why the chit costs so dam much

Old 09-07-2006 | 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well put, NCriderforks, Like I said one time before when he was over here bashing Polaris,Ganggreen is a bad symptom associated with some nasty diseases. He will eat away at your flesh if you let him. I guess he's P'Oed at the world cause his ride only has 3 wheels [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2006 | 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Nobody ever told Ganggreen that he has to own one. That is one of the privledges of living in the USA. If you dont like a Polaris then dont buy one, Polaris does not need people like him to stay in business.

Old 09-07-2006 | 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hey ganggreen rember when working on a quad itis righty tighty an lefty loosy an this will help you so don't break stuff. I have an 05 Sportsman an it has ahd no problems with 65hr an 467 miles

Old 09-07-2006 | 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

2003- 700, 3000 miles, waterpump gasket leaked at 500 miles, no other problems.

Old 09-07-2006 | 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: x_scrambler3
Hey ganggreen rember when working on a quad itis righty tighty an lefty loosy an this will help you so don't break stuff. I have an 05 Sportsman an it has ahd no problems with 65hr an 467 miles
x_scrambler3, In ganggreen's case the loose nut is between the seat and the handlebars. Sorry, just couldn't pass that one up.

Old 09-07-2006 | 11:15 PM
|
Pro Rider

I think I now want a polaris. I test drove one. 03 700. It had power but not like the Brute Force 750 but I did like it. I like the AWD system even though I didn't get to use it. I live in MASS so if anyone knows of a good one for sale let me know. I have 5,000 to spend.

Quick Reply: Polaris 700 Reliability?