Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rubicon beats SP500HO in Drag Race... not once but twice???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texmudder had 27" mud bugs. The HO had 27" Bi/tri, and I had on stock tires.You might think that that would explain my bike beating the HO; however, my bike seems to be just as fast with 27's as it is with stock tires... maybe even a little faster. Texmudder and I always run abotu even with 27" tires, and we ran about the same this weekend. We have raced probably 20 times, and the out come has been about the same regardless of tires. We are always within a few feet of each other.

I have to admit that if that HO was mine, I would have made some adjustments to it to make it faster. Just getting the fuel mixter right will make a big difference. The HO we raced was running a stock paper filter, and no mods to the airbox.. I am sure he is running very rich, and he probably has slack in his throttle cable. I did not tell him that because I may have to race him in a mud race in the future... no need to make it hard on myself.

Greg

Greg

Old 12-04-2000, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

i think that if greg made his "adjustments" to the HO it would have been different. if the HO has 6hp more that the regular sp500 then there is no way it should be slower. if it was gregs HO it would have won the race.

later
jon

Old 12-04-2000, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Greg,

What could I check on mine to be sure the it's running it's best?

The only thing as far as performance goes that I have is a K&N Filter. I can adjust the throttle cable.

Thanks
Mud4Me

Old 12-04-2000, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I am also running stock filter and such. I just have the tires and snorkel.

3TV, there were only these 2 attempts on the track by the three of us.

Tim1, if the guy did not know to push the throttle in a speed race, then he shouldnt be out there.

Old 12-04-2000, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

do the HO's run rich out of the box??? i might go out here and test mine in alittle bit to see what its running.

Old 12-04-2000, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Hello, hello?

How in the world can you compare an HO with 27" Triclaws against a Sportsman 500 with short stock tires?

The stock Sportsman would be lighter, possess less unsprung weight, lighter flywheel effect and have a lower gear ratio.

Why don't you test the machines on black top with the same sized tires, with the same weight riders and see who does what. (without clutch kits)

I love these apples, oranges, and bananas comparisons.

Old 12-04-2000, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

What where the control factors and parameters of this product comparison?

Did the driver of the HO know that he was involved in the competition?

Old 12-04-2000, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I can't beat my old 2000 SP with my new H.O. They both have white clutch springs and that's it. I gotta K&N and a AAEN muffler under the X-mas tree for my H.O. and my kid's 425 EXP.
We'll see if I can beat my old SP then.
The H.O. has some nice improvements, but it is just not that big a deal. And I miss the cushy ride of the old SP, which we have now figured out is the gas shocks, not the springs.
I'd still take either one over a Rubicon.
I like 2WD for Banzai Trail Riding. I like Independent Rear Suspension. I like Disc Brakes.
I like 10 inches of ground clearance. I can put
Scrambler parts in my H.O. if I want to go faster.
I like the way Polaris handles. It is just more fun. I think more races//..er research is called for. My Honda friend has 6,000 miles on his Foreman ES, the electric shifter is always screwing up on him, maybe soon he'll get a Ruby and we can do some more ..research.
Silly Later,,,,Fourlix

Old 12-04-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

When you guys race with the auto do you just push the throttle to the bar? Some people have told me they go quicker by not just slamming the throttle wide open from a dead stop.

Old 12-04-2000, 05:59 PM
Range Rover

Being a witness not only to this race but all of Greg and Texmudder's previous races, what he says is on the level. I only say that to substanciate what he's saying, not that Greg would ever lie about anything other than...well I leave that one alone.
From the way it sounds Greg you should start up a business which will charge $1000.00 for instructions to tweak a SP500 and a "GS" sticker. Thats it! and SP500GS.

Quick Reply: Rubicon beats SP500HO in Drag Race... not once but twice???