Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just got two polaris quads help/Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got two polaris quads help/Hello!

I just traded my 24' travel trailer for two polaris quads.. I recieved a 2003 predatator 500 and a 2001 scrambler 500 2wd. I've been lurking on this board for a while now and I'm very happy to be able to contribute now that I own a couple quads...

I have some questions on the Predator.. While riding this machine which appears to be in good shape (probably hard to tell from looks) I've experienced some rattleling or clicking sound coming from the left side of the motor that I assume is the gearbox? Sorry I'm totally new to quads... I thought maybe it was a loose chain but after asking the local shop they explained how tight the chain should be etc. and it seems fine. This sound usually comes while in 2nd gear (I havn't got into 3rd yet not enuf property) and while I'm turning and it is even louder if I'm going slow... BUT it also can be heard randomly when I'm just driving around.. The clinking is pretty much hard enough that you can almost feel it and hear it..

The Scram does a similar noise but its not as loud..

Right now I'm playing this off as typical noise from a working mechanism but I'd like to hear your guys input on the situation.. They seem fast and they are VERY fun and I cant wait to hit the trails and sand in the pacific northwest asap!!

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure, but is the spokets and chain in good condtion. sometimes when there war alot they will make noise. are they well oiled as well. just a thought, probably not right though.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

The first preds did make alot of noise from the chain slapping the guard

Old 09-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

check the ammount of wear on the chain slider, you might need a new one (same goes for your scrambler)

Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I took the quads over to some friends and the chain on the scram was way way to loose. Tightened that up a little and it really got rid of the sound etc.. as for the Predator it is still making a similar noise but still only in 2nd + Gears and ususally after just letting off the gas.. I'll check that slider asap and I have no real idea to know if anything is worn out unless its dead obvious!

On a side note man the pred feels fast! I can only imagine what a few mods would do...

Thanks Polaris!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, and I read somewhere that there were some gussets to check up on for the 03 model year? Where to I look for those? I've never heard of them. Are there any other things I can look for on the 03 predator? Does anyone know the stock HP numbers?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Range Rover

I had a similar noise problem on my Raptor. The axle bearings in the rear housing were bad. When you would ride and especially when you turned the axle would move in the housing and it would bind the chain on the front sprocket and make a clicking noise. I too thought I had a gear box problem. Not sure how the Pred is set up in that regard but its worth taking a look at. Get the rear axle up off the groung and see if you have any play in it.