Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

repair - left tire 10lbs heavier than right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repair - left tire 10lbs heavier than right?

took my rims and tires in to the dealer bacause one of the beads keept breaking. As I went to put it back on I noticed the one that was fixed was very heavy. I weighed both fronts - one was 39lbs and the other one was 49lbs.
WTF?
both have 6 lbs of air inside. I wonder if they left mud etc in the tire. This time they put some sort of glue or sealant on the rims so the beads won't pop. I am also curious to know if this sealant can be removed to clean the tire out.
I think these guys are a bunch of morons.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think you should go to Discount Tires and get them to do it. They can pop the bead off, get all the crap out, and re-do all of it. I have done it for all four of my tires. My back tires they did for free because the guy who did it rides bikes and quads too, my fronts I had another dude do it for $20.00. They are real fast, and real good with tires.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe you made a mistake and put ten extra pounds of air in one of the tires.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont what they could've put in there to add extra 10 lbs. thats alot of weight.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Could they have put some sort of sealant in the tire itself, as opposed to just on the beads? There are various sealants marketed for tires... I don't think they usually recommend TEN POUNDS, but that's the only non-visible thing I can think of that might have some legitimacy.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I would get that tire off--something sounds way wrong--the XTR 26" x 9 only weighs 26.8lbs according to ITP--with the alum wheel 49 lbs. is way out there

Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Thought I'd drop in and comment here as I have been doing some research along these lines. I just removed and cleaned out both of my front stock PXT tires from my "06" 700efi. I had sealer in both of them but I'm sure that it did not add anywhere near 10lbs. to the tires. The bare clean tires by themselves weighed only 17lbs. each!!! I had already removed the wheel weights front the stock front aluminum wheels. I cleaned the wheels and they both weighed an identical 9lbs.12ozs. each. I've been very disappointed in the PXT tires from a flat prevention standpoint. I'm putting on the 26.8lb each ITP Mudlite XTRs first thing in the morning. I'm going to try to get weights, sidewall thickness and thread depth differences between the old and new before I mount them in the morning. With the new tires on they should only weigh about 36lbs. maximum. There's definetly something in your tires that shouldn't be, including way too much sealant if that's what it turns out to be. The stock PXTs are about as light as any utility tire you will find. If you ride fairly easy and avoid sharp rocks they may work fine for you; otherwise I'd be looking for some heavier 6 ply rated tires. Don't let anyone lead you to believe the PXTs are 6 ply. Carlilse themselves list them as a 3 ply.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

I think it is just mud in the tire - although 10 full pounds seems like a ton. When the bead popped it was in a mudhole at full throttle. We fixed it and it happened again an hour later in another mudhole. You would think the guys at the dealer would have cleaned it out but I guess they just inflated it.

I like the XTR tires alot. I did have one get a sidewall puncture that could not be fixed and I might eventually get a set of 589s for really hardcore stuff if anymore beads pop off.

Fireslayer make sure you use a different wheel or spacers for the front offset. I have pictures of the XTRs next to the PXTs and they are quite a bit bigger.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

thedon, I'm hoping that I'll be able to use the stock aluminum wheels. I know the width is 1 inch wider on the XTR's vs the PXTs but it would appear that the offset and clearance behind the stock tires should be plenty to compensate for the extra 1/2 inch that the 26x9x12s will need. I think Stendori is running these and I don't remember him saying anything about changing wheels or using spacers. I'll know in the morning after I get them mounted up. Will try to post as soon as I know for sure. As far as your weight problem goes I guess it could be mud as water/mud would probably weigh close to 8lbs per gallon and an ATV tire probably would be capable of holding 2-3gallons. One would think that the person repairing the tire would have noticed the weight difference or at least the muddy water coming out if the bead was broken. But then again there are some dumb/lazy people out there who just don't care.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

If it really is mud, it's unlikely to be evenly balanced around the circumference of the tire. You should notice that it's REALLY out of balance once you pull it off the machine.

Quick Reply: repair - left tire 10lbs heavier than right?