Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cold Weather Riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I purchased my Scrambler 500 4x4 this July, and this will be its first winter in the snow. This is also my first quad, and I was wondering what percautions I should take while riding in the freezing temps in NY. The temperature does drop below zero, especially with the windchill. I was wondering if I have to do anything important to prepare the quad (I keep hearing things about re-jetting). Also, what is the recommended warm up time, or are these machines so well built, that I would just be able to fire it up and go. Also, any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.....Balintawak

Old 12-05-2000, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Balintawak don't be intimidated by the winter season. Since you own a four stroke there is no need to do any jet changes.
But keep up on greasing all the zerks and lube the throttle with wd-40 trust me you'll thank me later.
On a really cold day like your discribing I'd let it warm up for about 15 minutes, yes 15 minutes if it's below 0, 20 minutes would'nt hert.
I own a polaris scrambler 400 and mines liquid cooled like yours is, if you dont let them warm up in winter you could seize your engine.
And one last thing buy a can of silicone and spray all the metal parts, it will keep them from rusting.
BUNDLE UP!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-05-2000, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Keep that oil changed. Moisture in the lines could cause freezing which will stop your engine from getting lubricated.

Old 12-05-2000, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Since it's a 4 stroke, you don't have much to do on the engine (mine is a 2 stroke...but I don't do much either...chhhht, don't say it).
I'd get some winter/snowmobile grease, which is temp resistant, and put some/a lot anywhere there's something moving.
Watch out for water, when you get out, check your brakes...usually the lever is blocked (adrenaline rush when you see the tree in front of you saying "welcome, my friend"), and even if you pull hard enough to break the ice, it won't work much. It takes seconds for water to block your lever...watch out for that. All electrical switches will probably be frozen also, so you won't be able to change your lights from hi/lo, you won't be able to get back to 4x4 (or 4x2)...I don't know how though, last time my buddy was still able to start his scram with the electric button.
Watch out for you also. DON'T WEAR BIG GLOVES. Get rather heating grips. Last sunday I prefered riding with frozen fingers in motocross gloves rather than warm in ski gloves (you have simply no control). Wear something waterproof, and if you ride alone, take a cell phone, or whatever that could help people find you if you machine breaks (snowmobilers have a survival kit with gaz heater, food, boat SOS lights...).
This said, have fun!!
PS. I say all these things, but I went riding with a buddy this weekend, and I didn't even have a spare spark plug...just a 5' strap, and 3 pairs of gloves...
"Do what I say, don't do what I do" hehe.