Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 90 Sprocket help wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 90 Sprocket help wanted!

I just bought a 2001 Sportsman 90 for my son. I'm trying to slow it down some. I'm looking for a new front and rear sprocket for it and cant seem to find them anywhere. Local dealer had no info either. I also might be interested in changing the clutch to slow it down. I tried using the throttle block screw and have been not happy with the results. When I get it down slow enough, it doesnt engage the clutch enough to get it over any ruts or obstructions.

Any have any suggestions or suppliers who might be able to help?

Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

How old is your son? Is the rev limiter clip removed from the cdi box? If so, than just reinstall it, or make a jumper wire using a short piece of wire and two eyelet connectors. Just connect it to the two screws on the end of the cdi box (located under the plastic just under the handlebars in front of the gas tank). Much cheaper and top speed will be around 10 mph I think. Otherwise try www.hetrickracing.com or www.lakesmotorsports.com for sprockets. Is this machine still stock...stock pipe/carb/etc??? My youngest son's pred 90 will kill my sp700efi in a drag race, and tops out at just over 50mph now that it is modded out for mx racing.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

MY son is almost 5. A little small for the machine as is. This is a 2001, it doesnt have a rev limiter on the CDI box. I already checked that out at the local dealer. Hence posting here for help. I really would like to change the sprockets out and maybe adjust/change the clutch engagements. I saw a post here that mentioned these options but didnt give any specifics or suppliers?

Thanks for the reply though, I see that Hetrick has front sprockets in 3 teeth options. Hopefully one of them is smaller then stock.

Originally posted by: DANO38
How old is your son? Is the rev limiter clip removed from the cdi box? If so, than just reinstall it, or make a jumper wire using a short piece of wire and two eyelet connectors. Just connect it to the two screws on the end of the cdi box (located under the plastic just under the handlebars in front of the gas tank). Much cheaper and top speed will be around 10 mph I think. Otherwise try www.hetrickracing.com or www.lakesmotorsports.com for sprockets. Is this machine still stock...stock pipe/carb/etc??? My youngest son's pred 90 will kill my sp700efi in a drag race, and tops out at just over 50mph now that it is modded out for mx racing.