Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

For my wife.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006 | 09:42 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default For my wife.....

My wife has been riding a Trailboss 325 for some time now and she can ride it really well. I think she needs a bit more power though to get up some of those rocky hills in PA. and she'd like to be able to at least see me in the distance as I ride a worked 400ex. Do you think the Scrambler 500 would be a good choice? How do they hold up? Are they prone to any major problems? The only thing I'm really concerned about is her having to bail and getting slammed by that beast. It is a bit heavy at almost 600lbs. right? Your thoughts on this are greatly apprectiated![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2006 | 10:59 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Default For my wife.....

Definitely more power. The front will seem heavy to her after riding the Boss. The weight thing, well that's gonna be an issue with any model, assuming you stay with an automatic. My niece weighs about 110, and she likes hers. And her husband has done his share of beating it up, and it seems to hold up to that.

Old 09-25-2006 | 04:31 PM
Range Rover
Default For my wife.....

My wife loves our Scrambler. It has tons of power and it can hang with my Rappy when trail riding. My wifes only complaint about it is that we cant find pink flame graphics to match her helmet. I wanted to trade the Scrammy in on a Grizz 700 and when we rode together she could ride the Grizz.( she won't learn to ride the rappy) But momma said no. Everytime we ride and there is a girl in camp that is new to riding she will put them on the scrammy and they all like it. Depending on how agressive your wife rides the weight could be an issue if she wipes out. I rolled ours when climbing a steep hill one time and it was a bear to get turned back over. But I truely think all the advanteges outwheigh the disadvantages with the weight being the only one that comes to mind, and the 07 has a really cool black and silver color scheme.

Old 09-25-2006 | 06:07 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default For my wife.....

In stock form the 500 Scrambler is very managable but is heavy.But with a few mods it will out do a modded 400ex in the woods and trails.But after the mods it can be a handfull to handle they get very quick and touchey with the right mods.
You ever think about calling Rick Ritter about his mod kit for the 325?
I have made a few clutch mods to our 330 Trailboss and it is like a new machine.

Old 09-25-2006 | 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default For my wife.....

My wife started on a 325 trailboss also. We purchased a Sportsman 450 for her earlier this year and she really likes it. I wouldn't be overly concerned about weight from a safety perspective from a pure weight standpoint. If you think about it, a 2006 trailboss clocks in at 505 lbs. So as lousy as this sounds, when your at 500 lbs, thats going to crush a person just as easily as 600 lbs. Also taking into account that she has experience....you most likely could feel more comfortable with that in mind? I do get where your coming from 100%. I have a 800 clocking in at 770 lbs. Regardless of a persons size, that is going to squish me like a pancake.

Old 09-26-2006 | 09:34 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default For my wife.....

Thanks for all the great comments. She refuses to learn to ride a manual clutch so I thought the next best thing would be a scrambler 5. To be honest I'd rather her concentrate more on what's in front of her than worry about if she's gonna stall or not. Riding a bike with a manual clutch takes time to learn and right now we just want to go out and have some fun. I don't think any Scrambler will "outdo" a 400ex on the trail I don't care how modded it may be. Maybe in a straight race it might keep up to a modded 400 but the ex is one of the best handling trail atv's ever made. Thanks again for all your tips and personal stories. I think she might have a new scrambler under the christmas tree this year. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2006 | 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default For my wife.....

I ride a 2X4 500HO scrammy there about 515lb's VS 571lb's for the 4X4, but
they are harder to find & they don't make them new anymore, u could
also look for a 400 scrammy 2X4 or a tb 400 these machines run real close
the 500HO motor stock & if modded (easy 2 stroke mods) will out run the 500HO
Scrammy & there a little bit lighter. But I love my 500 scrammy, 225 trouble free
hours!!

Old 09-26-2006 | 08:35 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default For my wife.....

Originally posted by: bmxatv
Thanks for all the great comments. She refuses to learn to ride a manual clutch so I thought the next best thing would be a scrambler 5. To be honest I'd rather her concentrate more on what's in front of her than worry about if she's gonna stall or not. Riding a bike with a manual clutch takes time to learn and right now we just want to go out and have some fun. I don't think any Scrambler will "outdo" a 400ex on the trail I don't care how modded it may be. Maybe in a straight race it might keep up to a modded 400 but the ex is one of the best handling trail atv's ever made. Thanks again for all your tips and personal stories. I think she might have a new scrambler under the christmas tree this year. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Hey I out run the 400EXs all the time in trails................but the kids say "I aint right"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Depends more on the rider than the machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006 | 08:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Default For my wife.....

Originally posted by: ftwflh

Hey I out run the 400EXs all the time in trails................but the kids say "I aint right"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Depends more on the rider than the machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
You sure it's just the kids??? j/k [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006 | 06:09 PM
Quad Patrol
Default For my wife.....

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
Originally posted by: ftwflh

You sure it's just the kids??? j/k [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Seems like most everyone tell me that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]