Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 smokin' like a 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 smokin' like a 2 stroke

That's right, actually it smokes MUCH worse. I towed my buddies grizzly out of the woods, he told me it was smokin a little, I just figured it was bogged down. Never had a flash code come on. Got back to camp and checked the oil. None on diptick. WOW!!!! Put in a qt. and rode about 5 miles a rechecked it. Needed another 1/2 qt. This still has all the power that it ever had, no oil in water, no water in oil, oil is carboned(black and smells), no excess oil in air box only very little streaks at the breather connection(about 1/4" long) in ll directions!

I wonder if I have oil ring issues, or valve seal issues. Polaris mech. thinks it is oil rings. He also said, if cyl. is bad I can not bore it, because it is nickel plated. HOPEFULLY, no cyl damage. I also wonder if, rings are bad can I get away witout honing the cyl. Probaby not. Do you hone nickel plated? I have about 38 hrs and 320 miles on it. I have ext. warranty, but rings/pistons are not covered. Valve seals are. I may do a leak down, before I turn it over to them, just so wool will not cover my eyes!

The thing about it: I just changed the oil myself, because of water getting into the breather tube slit. I then noticed the water pum leaking. I let them do a warrany water pump seal. They had to drain the oil to do the seal.(this is not like the 500's with a puller) So, I wonder if they topped it off. I DID neglect to check it, in my mind, it should have been good, from my oil change.

This is going to get a little tricky. Warranty from there poor work, which I can not prove. All I know is, 30 miles after they were in the engine, it is huffed! Or no warranty, because I should have checked the oil. I admit fault of not checking the oil, I do not need 12 of you to tell me that I should have checked it. Someone will anyway, watch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Any thoughts? Ideas for T/S? How do you check the oil anyway, OK I'm kiddin'[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok i wont say that. lol. actually i agree w/ it sounds like you have a broken oil ring. letting the oil come up and be burned thru the cyclinder. if you had no power and compression i 'ld say you would have a compresssion ring broke but i doubt it. i would pulll the plus out and take look and see if there all oil black. now why wouldnt a warr. cover a broken oil ring? its in the engine and really has no way of being broke by your self.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thatdealer doesn't know I have a problm yet. I just read my papers, and it is not listed. Con rod, bearings, timing chains, crank and bearings, etc... These sort of things are listed, but not pistons or rings! Have to wait and see.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

question, is this the same dealer that knows you went in the water and got in the engine with. if so it might be an issue getting it covered if the dealer doesnt want to work w/ ya. just a thought.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

they could bore it out and go bigger...you don't need that nickel plate crap

Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

ah yes smoky smoky. ill bet your some big russian looking guy. that is so big that 800 cant take your abuse. he he. guess who this is. i went riding last night and today. 90 miles total.. you got to get a bigger quad. you need one that you cant just pick up and throw.. i dont know if they make big enough quads for you.. wonder if they got the lumber jack model.. i liked your message on the phone. the grizzo did its job. and then some. ill try not to hit any more downed trees laying in my path and brake tie rod ends. but i loved that big quad when it got me home. i like that big polaris. but i like my grizz better. he he. oh those jugs must be nikacyl lined. same as my r6. u can have them re nikacyled. but its exspensive. i was going to have one of my r6 engines done. if its a broken oil ring. it would have to be awful bad. ill still bet theres somthing going on in the head gasket. if they dont cover it. id go there first. its got to come off first any way.. and a leak down would be in order first. to find out if there is leak down and where its going. well i hope you dont have to drop the hammer at the dealer. i would not want to be working there. wish i had a pic of you throwing the 400 off you on that hill. these gys on here would crap.. cya if u need any help let me know captain

Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What the hell just happend?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Range Rover

smoking means ur oil to gas ratio is off.

check what your burning haha

Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

well what happened at the dealer. did u drop the hammer. did u smash that polaris.. hay im going riding this weekend. tell them to junk that thing and get you a new quad. polaris would be fine. but id say grizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzly.. he he..yep here i am. the grizzo man on the polaris site.. wow...man i was eyeballing the new 700 looks awful nice. but all of them new look nice. ill just stick with old faithful.. welp hope somthing got straightened around. would like to c u be able to ride that big brute... cya

Old 10-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i hope that is a friend or least some one you know. wow.

Quick Reply: 800 smokin' like a 2 stroke