Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris or Can-Am

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris or Can-Am

Whoever said you get muddy on the Can am, well, they are right! The novelty wore off pretty quick and I installed a set of BRP fender extentions (did'nt cost very much and work great)

Would'nt be afraid of the Can am 500, as it is not a first year machine, everything but the engine dates to 2003 when the Outlanders first came out. I've put on 3,200km on my Outlander in the last 13 months and it's been very good, I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

Most of my riding is done with a Sportsman 700, very nice ride but a little heavy and IMO does'nt have a very sporty feel. Really the 4x4 systems on both machines work very well -- but the Pol does work better on rocks because it requires very little spin to engage, in the mud and snow its a draw. As for storage, who cares, almost every person I see on the trail has some sort of box or bag on the racks for stuff; I don't care what machine you have, none of them has any real storage.

Both are great quads, the two best 4x4 systems, efi, the Can am will be faster but that does'nt really matter -- I would just ride them both and see which one feels the best to you.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys. Thanks alot for all the advice and thoughts on the subject. I havent seen this thread for quite some time due to a week long ATV trip i went on with some buddies. I borrowed a Can-Am 500 blah blah blah and rode it as hard as my beginner skills could ride it. It preformed as well as i would need any ATV to preform. My buddies that were driving the new Grizz 700 and the a BF750 were pleasantly suprised with how well it kept up and preformed. It went every where those proven quads went and sometimes exceeded in my opinion.( i.e. downhill breaking, starights, and ride comfort.) We also drove through alot of muskeg which is quite common in Northern Alberta. When the other quads stopped to switch IN their diff lock and put putted through the muskeg, i took this chance to give them a little slash of swamp water. Visko Lok preformed well but i could see where a full manual locking diff. would be better. Long story short, im sold on the Can-Am. However i got to give Mr. Tom Tiller a chance seeing how he has self declared him and his company the best ATV making company under god's green earth. (that contest was a joke). So next week ill take out the new Sportsman 500 and put it through the paces and see how i like it.

P.S. Ill argue to the death with anyone that Tom Tiller is a joke. He might make good ATV's but what he did was ridiculous.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

Im glad you like the Can AM, and im also glad that your going to give Polaris a chance too. Always ride both before you decide so you'll know you didnt make a BIG mistake. And as far as Tom Tiller goes, he didnt claim that Polaris is the "best" company, just the "toughest" lol.. i know big difference huh? Just kidding. Its not that big of a deal to me, so yeah, i thought it would be pretty cool to see the challenge go through but o'well.. Good luck on your decision and let us know how you like that '07 Sportsman 500 H.O. EFI [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh and btw, my 2 question.. Is cost a factor? And what type of terrain do you normally ride?

Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jorgenstone
Hey guys. Thanks alot for all the advice and thoughts on the subject. I havent seen this thread for quite some time due to a week long ATV trip i went on with some buddies. I borrowed a Can-Am 500 blah blah blah and rode it as hard as my beginner skills could ride it. It preformed as well as i would need any ATV to preform. My buddies that were driving the new Grizz 700 and the a BF750 were pleasantly suprised with how well it kept up and preformed. It went every where those proven quads went and sometimes exceeded in my opinion.( i.e. downhill breaking, starights, and ride comfort.) We also drove through alot of muskeg which is quite common in Northern Alberta. When the other quads stopped to switch IN their diff lock and put putted through the muskeg, i took this chance to give them a little slash of swamp water. Visko Lok preformed well but i could see where a full manual locking diff. would be better. Long story short, im sold on the Can-Am. However i got to give Mr. Tom Tiller a chance seeing how he has self declared him and his company the best ATV making company under god's green earth. (that contest was a joke). So next week ill take out the new Sportsman 500 and put it through the paces and see how i like it.

P.S. Ill argue to the death with anyone that Tom Tiller is a joke. He might make good ATV's but what he did was ridiculous.

What did he do?

Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

Click on the Polaris Duel Icon thingy up top and read the latest results.

Basically, all the other company's declined and so he made a statement about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing i see here in this comparison that the Outlander has over the Sportsman is horsepower
Only the BRP 800 puts out more HP than the Polaris 800. The Polaris 500 has more HP than the BRP 500. The Polaris 700 has more HP than the BRP 650.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Aeen website lists the Polaris 500 HO carb at 32.9 lbft at 5400 rpm. This engine is torque flat to almost 7000 rpm. The Polaris 500 HO Carb puts out 31.5 lbft at 6000 rpm.

The 500 BRP is listed at 42 nm or 30.7 lbft at 6000 rpm.

The Polaris 500 has 2 more lbft peak torque than the BRP and has a flat hp curve. Even at 6000 rpm, it still puts out more torque than the BRP. Considering, both engines are 4 valve OHC engines, it would be hard to argue that the BRP will produce more HP than the Polaris looking at these torque numbers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The BRP website lists the 650 torque as 58nm @ 5500rpm or 42.8 lbft. We see that the Aeen website shows the torque of the Polaris 700 is 43.3 lbft at 5400 rpm. It sure looks like the Polaris 700 puts out more power.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Aeen website shows the Stock 800 Polaris as putting out 51.8 lbft torque at 5000 rpm. The BRP website states the 800 puts out 73nm or 53.84 lbft torque at 5500 rpm. So BRP puts out a whole 2 lbft more torque??? Interesting...

Now the rag websites I have seen show the BRP 800 at 62 hp. The Aeen website shows the Polaris 800 at 55HP. That only indicates a difference of 12% hp. Unfortuneately we have no real dyno curve for the BRP 800 to validate if it even makes 62 hp.

I broke this news on the BRP forums last week and the response was less than enthusiastic. I was quite suprised to learn that the BRP guys had mistakenly thought that the BRP engines produced from 22 to 28% more than the Polaris engines.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

im sorry, i didnt know that. Thanks for informing me. Well, then there you go. In my opinion, the BRP500 dosent have anything on the SP500 lol.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: JonJonG
Im glad you like the Can AM, and im also glad that your going to give Polaris a chance too. Always ride both before you decide so you'll know you didnt make a BIG mistake. And as far as Tom Tiller goes, he didnt claim that Polaris is the "best" company, just the "toughest" lol.. i know big difference huh? Just kidding. Its not that big of a deal to me, so yeah, i thought it would be pretty cool to see the challenge go through but o'well.. Good luck on your decision and let us know how you like that '07 Sportsman 500 H.O. EFI [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh and btw, my 2 question.. Is cost a factor? And what type of terrain do you normally ride?

Umm. Cost really isn't a factor. Obviously everyone wants the best "Bang For Their Buck". So if spending a few extra thousand gets me what i want and what i will be happy with, i have no problem doing so. And at the same time im not gonna go spend every cent i have on buying the latest newest things. As far as what i will be riding. "ALL" terrain vehicle pretty much sums it up. I live in the canadian rockies. So instead of the normal 4 seasons that most ppl get. i get like 6 or 7 seasons.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Range Rover

Here in NL we get all the seasons every day and sometimes hourly. BRP or Polaris - you won't go wrong with either.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

The BRP is faster than My buddies SP800but--- the 800BRP has 27"Mudlite radials so the front Viscolock doest hold both tires locked in mud holes. Also it has 600 miles on it and luckily it has a 3yr warranty cause the motor just got rebuilt at 600 miles! Blew the rings and seals. Your decision !!

Quick Reply: Polaris or Can-Am