Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 500 X2 comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 500 X2 comments

I am curious as to hear other comments on the Polaris 500 X2. I suggested my father purchase the new Polaris X2 because he often has my mother as a passenger and they were looking for a very comfortable machine. They also wished to comply with the Quebec laws regarding riding with a passenger. I have tried both the 700 and 800 regular Sportmans and was very impressed. They ride much smoother than my 700 Kingquad.

What a disappointment this X2 has turnt out to be. The second seat is nothing more than a suggestion. It is hard and very uncomfortable. Also the back suspension has been reinforced to be able to carry the 400 pound capacity of the dump box, but makes the ride extremely stiff.( even with the suspension dialed to the softest setting ) This machine does not provide the smooth ride that Polaris has built its reputation on.

Buy a wheel barrel!!! It will probably ride better.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

The dumping box is a cute design, but by trying to be too many things it is ultimately good only as a cargo box. In my area there is a far greater need for a comfortable second seat and a little storage space behind the seat! Both BPR and AC offer a similar box as an option - great ideal.

The cargo box is ok but the compromises are just not worth it. The uncomfortable passenger seat provides a space for the passenger to occupy but little else.

The dumping feature prevents the use of a bumper. No doubt a few owners will use the dump, but everyone needs a bumper (for lifting, pushing or simply for protection).

I have installed a comfortable seat and ia rear bumper which effectively prevents use of the dump. And despite the tone of my comments and my displeasure with the junior Polaris engineers who came up with this arrangement, I am extremely pleased with my X2 - see my "I didn?t buy the Outlander" thread.

Hopefully Polaris will offer a real 2-up next year.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch! I have not been hearing much about an "extremely stiff" ride on the X2.
Ebel and all other X2 owners: how is the rear suspension without a passenger?

Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hello ATVfan1! I have an X2 500 and love it. I weigh about 345 right now and find the suspension to be pretty good for me. I've been on friend's earlier year 500s and found they had a LOT of squat under acceleration. I find it is a great all around machine for my needs. I've had my wife on it and she found it to be comfortable enough for the few miles I take her on rides. My youngest son goes with me occasionally but doesn't really like riding quads (?????????) He hasn't complained about the ride unless I get going pretty fast on the whoops. I do use the dump bed occasionally and find it holds extra gas or a huge cooler with ease. Just throw a couple straps over the top and your load stays put. The longer wheelbase is a little tough on clearance but fantastic on white knuckle hill climbs. I've never felt like it is going to lift the front end in the steeps. When all is said and done, I don't mind the ride, it meets my needs, and I don't have to leave the seat behind. I like it...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I like the idea behind the new rear suspension. When you go over bumps and rocks the suspension goes UP and BACK, thus a MUCH better handling ATV and better ride.

The rear seat on the Bombardier (or should I say CanAm) is more comfy for sure! But you can't knock a huge gas tank for long rides, the dump body is simply a GREAT, useful idea, and traction selection (turf, 2by,4by) is a truely well thought-out design.

ATVfan1 you can try and pick it apart, but let's see where things are in a few years. I predict this ATV will take-off in sales.

And with the addition of the 800 engine for '07, things only will get more interresting.

I only think a more aggressive tire should be added. But I understand the reasoning behind the mild tire the X2 uses- TURF!

BTW, a more comfy rear seat will not be a difficult upgrade for Polaris to make if they decide to.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

No issues with the ride. It rides as well as any Sportsman with or without a load.

I agree the cargo box is useful and for short rides the passenger seat is convenient.

Although capable of accommodating a passenger for short rides, the X2 design focus is utility. The only serious issue I had was the poorly designed passenger seat and I have this worked out. As a 2-up quad it falls short of the Max.

Mtpockets, tell us why you think the ?dump? is great.

Ebel

Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your comments Guys.. I am thinking that maybe there is something wrong with the suspension on my fathers bike. When I was following him I noticed that the rear suspension was not contracting and retracting like it would on other ATV. ( even with a 200 pound passenger ) This produced a very stiff ride. I assumed that the suspension was stiff because of the load capacity of the box.

This was our first ride with the ATV as it is brand new. I will suggest he bring it to the dealer to see if the suspension has been set up properly.

I hope this is the case, as I feel badly for recommeding this ATV to him.

Thx all

Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ebel
No issues with the ride. It rides as well as any Sportsman with or without a load.

I agree the cargo box is useful and for short rides the passenger seat is convenient.

Although capable of accommodating a passenger for short rides, the X2 design focus is utility. The only serious issue I had was the poorly designed passenger seat and I have this worked out. As a 2-up quad it falls short of the Max.

Mtpockets, tell us why you think the ?dump? is great.

Ebel
Capacity is 400lbs (Bomb is only 200lbs) and that's great for hunting. Also, small woodchip/brush/loam projects around the house. Also, the Polaris bags fit well on each side when the seat is in use! Check it out on PurePolonline store. I can't remember the part # but could look it up if you wish!

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

I agree that the rear suspension is way to stiff, at least for what I use it for. I put on shocks and springs from a regular 2006 sportsman to see how they would work. They needed a 1" spacer because the shocks are shorter and I also put in a 1" spacer under the spring to stiffen it up a bit. The ride is much nicer now...just like all the other sportsmans.

Simple tip to try. When I first got my X2 the rear suspension would barely move at all. I checked all the bolts on the rear suspension and they were wayyyyy to tight. I loosened them all off and re-torqued them to specs ( I believe 27ft-lbs) That made a big difference.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

Owned my X2 since February. I had a problem with it not running right at altitude. I live in Colorado and I ride near or above timberline regularly (10,000-12,000ft). When I first got the quad at altitude it would start fine once....after that if you shut it off and restarted it the quad would run PIG rich...The stealer re-flashed the ECM and it seems to be running better now although I could swear it does not have as much as it did before the re-flash. Some people have been having stalling issues. My X2 has only stalled out on me once since the re-flash...sometimes it comes close to stalling, but it has only died on me once.

All in all I am very happy with my X2. With it being a first year model I will give Polaris a pass on the ECM issue although IMO they should have had enough experience making EFI quads that this should not have happened. I am probably going to pick up another quad next summer. Still trying to decide between a SP800 or a BRP 650.

Again, love my X2 and have not regretted the purchase. It is a really good all around bike.

My .02

Quick Reply: Polaris 500 X2 comments