Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 500 X2 comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 500 X2 comments

Originally posted by: cfwilkins
Owned my X2 since February. I had a problem with it not running right at altitude. I live in Colorado and I ride near or above timberline regularly (10,000-12,000ft). When I first got the quad at altitude it would start fine once....after that if you shut it off and restarted it the quad would run PIG rich...The stealer re-flashed the ECM and it seems to be running better now although I could swear it does not have as much as it did before the re-flash. Some people have been having stalling issues. My X2 has only stalled out on me once since the re-flash...sometimes it comes close to stalling, but it has only died on me once.

All in all I am very happy with my X2. With it being a first year model I will give Polaris a pass on the ECM issue although IMO they should have had enough experience making EFI quads that this should not have happened. I am probably going to pick up another quad next summer. Still trying to decide between a SP800 or a BRP 650.

Again, love my X2 and have not regretted the purchase. It is a really good all around bike.

My .02

How much does the BRP650 weigh? If it's much less than a SP800 I would opt for the BRP650. Why own two pigs by getting another Polaris? It would seem that a lighter ATV for a second quad would be more veriety and add more FUN!

~MT

Old 10-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Range Rover

MT~
That was my thought although I am not a really agressive rider. I just want something a little more powerful than the 500. I have heard that the BRP SST frames are a potential weak point of the bike. Just what I have heard. I love those Rotax motors. Those things have a lot of power from what I hear. I have relied on Rotax engines in aircraft and they have never let me down....very good engines. It's the frame I am worried about.

This might be unfounded though. I just want something that will be drop dead reliable...so the PoPo has not left we walking...

Old 10-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found my x2 to be pretty comfortable to ride. Granted the passenger seat has much to be desired. Both my wife and 16 year old daughter mentioned that it was disconcerting to have the back rest kind of loose and moving around while riding.

The only negative I have with my X2 is that the plastic on the dump box is kind of brittle. The very first time I took it out riding in the woods, I went through a couple narrow trails. By the end of the ride, both fender skirts on the bottom/side of the box were ripped off by scraping them on trees.

A few weeks latter, I was going over and uneven log between two trees. As the front wheel cleared the log the X2 rocked to one side and the box kissed the tree. I was shocked to see that the plastic on the side of the box was completely broken.

Both these incidents happened at crawling speeds. I am a middle aged guy and I don't ride hard.

My last ATV was a 94 400L that had been rolled (by my sons) side over side and end to end several times with nary a scratch. I am used to real metal racks not cheap molded plastic.

Though I can't blame Polaris. I knew the racks and box were plastic when I bought them. On the other hand, the fact that Polaris offers optional metal tubes for side protection indicates that the plastic wasn't very strong.

I guess I am going have to be extra careful riding my X2 around anything harder than tall grass.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Range Rover

As to the comments regarding the comfort of the rear seat, it appears from the photos on the Polaris website that at least the backrests on the 07 X2's are much more substantial than on the 06's. I hope that's true.

I'm waiting for my dealer to get an 07, so I have not seen one in person.