Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

radiator coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator coolant?

hey gang, been a while since i have posted but i still got the ole polaris and shes still kicken like always. i have been plowing with it and it wants to run a little warm. yes, the fluid is to par and i have the radiator cleaned out. i have heard of some kind of radiator cooler gel or liquid or something you can add to the existing fluid and make it run a little cooler? anyone know anything about this stuff? thanks PB500

Old 11-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your going to leave the antifreeze in the only one i've found that you add to the system is called "radiator relief" made by DEI it cools the temp by 30 degrees. ive talked to the mfg. and he suggest 4 to 8 ozs. be added since most of our wheelers only have a 2 qts of coolant.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Check out Red Lines "Water Wetter" I use it in all my vehicles including the atv's. Available at auto stores.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

do you add it to your antifreeze or run it w/ water? says it helps transfer heat w/ waater and it helps the antifreeze reduce the temp. it sounds like it works much better if you add it to stricky water vs. antifreze.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

use engine ice coolant drain your old coolant and add this stuff straight up works great

Old 11-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you guys that live in the south are lucky that you dont have woorry about freezing the engine so you add these products right to the water w/out draining it for winter.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Stendori,

To revive a post from the past......

Do you use DEI radiator relief? Is it working for you? As another Mainer I cannot run water wetter or any other products that do not provide freeze protection. A buddy reccomended Engine ICE, but this is a complete coolant replacement vice an additive. I have read a lot of good about DEI radiator relief - wanted to see if anybody has acutually used this product in a wheeler.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

You say that you have been plowing and it is overheating - first I assume that it is SNOW plowing & and that the outside temperature is relatively cold. It is probably more a matter of snow plums (ie"snow dust") blowing back over the top of the plow and coating the radiator until the heat transfer is no longer efficient. I've never seen an ATV snow plow with either a curved "snow roll over" edge or rubber flap edge on top of the plow (so i assume that you probably don't have one). If you plow "fast", you WILL get "snow dust" frozen all over the radiator. Look at the "on the road" snow plow trucks - most of them have either the metal "snow curler" or rubber flap on the top of their plow - they are there for precisely this reason - to stop the radiator from freezing over with "snow dust" and the engine temp from overheating.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: NJDale

You say that you have been plowing and it is overheating - first I assume that it is SNOW plowing & and that the outside temperature is relatively cold. It is probably more a matter of snow plums (ie"snow dust") blowing back over the top of the plow and coating the radiator until the heat transfer is no longer efficient. I've never seen an ATV snow plow with either a curved "snow roll over" edge or rubber flap edge on top of the plow (so i assume that you probably don't have one). If you plow "fast", you WILL get "snow dust" frozen all over the radiator. Look at the "on the road" snow plow trucks - most of them have either the metal "snow curler" or rubber flap on the top of their plow - they are there for precisely this reason - to stop the radiator from freezing over with "snow dust" and the engine temp from overheating.</end quote></div>

I don't have an issue with overheating in the winter - it's in the summer that the temps rises - especially if you get mud in the radiator. The issue is I also need a product that will provide anti-freeze protection in the winter. Water Wetter will not provide the protection needed in Maine.

I think I will build a trail washer like stendori has to clean the radiator while out mudding, but if I could reasonably buy some added insurance from overheating with DEI radiator relief then I think I will.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

jeff, i didnt use anything in the rad. as i decided to build my washer instead for cleaning the mud out. these rads work fine as long as they are kept clean. on my 08' 800 it seems to be a little better then the 06' was. just take a look at my pics to see the washer set up to get an idear. i havent been out this year as of yet as the trails are all closes for mud season.

Quick Reply: radiator coolant?