Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Moose or Glacier Plow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moose or Glacier Plow?

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like either of the two would be a good choice. I have a question for those of you with the razor plow...do you have problems with the snow coming over the low point in the middle of the plow, when the blade is not angled?

Old 11-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot.....Is it true that the 60" Razor is more "heavy duty" then the straight 60" Glacier plow.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: potter
I forgot.....Is it true that the 60" Razor is more "heavy duty" then the straight 60" Glacier plow.
Of course it is. I owned both. It's much heavier. go to the dealer and compare for yourself.

Ans to your prev question is Yes, the snow does come over the low section in the middle of the Razor blade.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good info here - thank you.

I am in search of a new system as the snow depths here have really hindered the ability of a 16" high plow blade. Those of you that have plowed with different equipment, how would you rate the performance of the Razor Blade as compared to the Moose County one? It seems like the geometry is still different on the County Plows and would probably generate more kinetic energy but nobody around here has both to look at.

I would like two way utility of the Razor but really need something that throws the snow a bit higher and farther.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I live in Minnesota and have the moose 60" county on a sp 800. I've hade it since 2002 (used to be on a sp 700) and love it.
I let is sit outside in the summer and the paint hasn't even faded. Its pretty flat out here and the snow really drifts (when we finally get it). I plow three gravel driveways all about a 1/4 mile long. I can plow at about 10-15mph (not recomended) and get all the snow in the ditch.
I did take the supplied 4-6" rubber flap that came on the plow and angled it down by simpily bolting on a piece of angel iron and bolting it to that. Now it directs the snow down like a DOT truck plow and my headlights shine better.

If you dont mind getting down to hook it up, go with the moose.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Trailbound.

The flap description that you're describing sounds like the Cycle Country State Plow. These two manufactures seem real similar but from some of the post, the Moose sounds heavier duty but I don know for sure??

Old 01-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

I work at a Polaris, Yamaha, and Honda Delear here in Minnesota. We don't even carry the glacier plow system. I think its because the old polaris plows were so light and flimsy and the moose has always been heavy. Plus its nice to carry one brand of plow that will fit all brands of ATVs. Just need the correct mounting plate and winch mount.

Just wondering how many inches of snow you guys got out there in Golden? I lived in Colorado Springs (FT. Carson) from Nov., 1997 - July 2002 while I was in the U.S. Army. I alos served in the Colorado Army National Guard in Longmont.
We never really got a good snow fall while I lived in CO on the front range and since I moved back to Minnesota we have not got a good snow either. This year we have had maby an inch of slush and very warm weather.

Wishing for the deep stuf also.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Trailbound, this year has been a bit unusual with up-slope storms. Up-slope usually means the plains get significantly more than the mountains[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

We have had a major snow roughly one week apart for three weeks in a row. The first one we got 34" with major drifting, the second we got 18" and last friday we got 12".

They are even eyballing a storm in the pacific that may come through towards the end of next week.

Back to plows, no body around here carries the Moose so I have not been able to look at it for comment. Cycle Country and Warn is the most common around here but right now this town has been deplete of plow kits. The only Denver dealer listed for Moose Utilities (although they push Cycle Country) said they have gone through 130 plow kits over the last 3 weeks. The tapered State Plow and County Plow designs are very rare around here but I think they would perform much better than the straight plow I have been using.

My 700 Grizz has a Yamaha 48" with i think is made by Warn. I think Cycle Country and maybe even Glacier blades with fit on my brackets but I am not sure about Moose.

To use a Glacier II system I would have to custom modify a polaris bracket which I have already borrowed a bracket from a dealer to evaluate the difficulty. It's not too bad and I think I can make it work without too much headache if that the direction I decide to go.

Does the shop you work at stock Moose county Plows?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MileHiGuy
Good info here - thank you.

I am in search of a new system as the snow depths here have really hindered the ability of a 16" high plow blade. Those of you that have plowed with different equipment, how would you rate the performance of the Razor Blade as compared to the Moose County one? It seems like the geometry is still different on the County Plows and would probably generate more kinetic energy but nobody around here has both to look at.

I would like two way utility of the Razor but really need something that throws the snow a bit higher and farther.

Thanks in advance.

With all that snow you MN guys received I think a plow would be useless......buy a BIG snowblower!!LOL!

With reference to the difference of the 2 blades.(Razor vs. Moose County blade).
You can see an angle difference on the Raxor where you would bolt on a rubber deflector. it angles drastically foward...and this isn't good because it tends to want to lift the blade while plowing heavy deep snow. In comparrison, the Moose County keeps it's blades curve where the rubber bolt-on upper deflector mounts.... and that's great! it's a natural continuation of the blade's natural curve. Does any of this make sence?

Just look at a pic of both blades and you will see. Honda website has good pics of the Moose. (Honda liscenced product).

It's all in the curve![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

(yes, i've owned both!)

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mtpockets

Thanks for the feedback. Your input is great. In your opinion, is the Moose County superior (Design as well as construction) to the Cycle Country State (one way) plow. They look similar but I only have a picture to judge.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Moose or Glacier Plow?