Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bought NEW Scrambler 500 on Friday! Problems on Saturday!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought NEW Scrambler 500 on Friday! Problems on Saturday!!!!

After many posts and your responses (THANK YOU), I decided on the Scrambler 500. I bought a brand new left over 2006 on Friday. I love the bike but have a couple of problems and I'm a little dissapointed/frustrating.

I rode the bike for a couple of hours on Friday pretty consertatively to help break it in. I noticed a few things that troubled me. First, back firing. Secondly, the bike would not idle worth a %$^&. I didn't do any changes from the dealer because I had plans to tweak it on Saturday.

OK... Saturday (yesterday)..... I got to the riding spot with some buddies and the bike wouldn't stay running. In fact, it back fired during start and would not run at all at an idle. I attempted to adjust the idle and it had absolutley NO effect on the way the bike ran. I figured the idle screw/cable (crap engineering IMO) wasn't turing so I continued to tinker with it. Well... long story short... the idle cable broke! Damnit!!! I called my dealer but it was after hours (weekend). Ok.. starting tinkering with the throttle cable. I found that whenever you moved the cable by hand (up or down/side to side), the bike would throttle VERY high or shut down. I took off the front plate to access the entire cable and rigged it with a cable tie so it would not move. This solved the problem enough to ride on Saturday.

The bike is going back to the dealer tomorrow. The sales guy is a friend of mine so I'm pretty certain they will take care of the issues. Has anyone else had these types of problems?

I have to say that I do love the bike and it's performance but I'm not feeling very confident in it's engineering. For those of you out there that have this bike, please tell me something to make me feel better about the serious money I spent on Friday.

Also, I would like at some point to pipe this bike for a little more "umph". I'll probably do a slip on of some kind. Any recommendations on pipes/jetting? I would like to keep the exhaust legal enough to ride in parks, etc.

Thank you again for your responses (in advance and previously).

Dino

Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Sound like the safty switchin the throughtle houseing is out of adjustment. You need to adjust the cable. There is a switch in it so when the cable gets stuck the quad will shut down. If out od adjustment it will not idle. A clutch kit will help. Do know on the pipe.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

yah, sounds like somethings just not adjusted right with the cable. theres two points of adjustment on the cable. one up by the throttle housing "inline" in the cable itself. the other is the idle adjustment at the carb. sounds like you got a bad adjuster cable there or something just came loose.

its sounds like your dealer did not set it up right when they assembled it. they should have got it running good before they let anyone take it from the showroom. its usually something simple. even the smallest speck of dirt in the carb can clog a jet and cause irratic idle and performance.

clutch kits are the biggest improvement slip on pipes are great too. for the money, if you can find a white bros e series, its the best. next would prolly be the fmf slip on.

hpd offers an airbox/carb mod that adds even more yet.

aaen performance also offers up their own mixed bag of add ons.

i love my scrammy and will always own one, so try not to get too discouraged.

X

Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

Have put about 400 miles on my 06 and freakin love it!!! only probs I've had was greasing the rear hubs because of a clicking noise they made that drove me nuts, until i figured out what it was. Dealer didnt even know what it was. The rear brake pads were gone after 300 miles... probly cause im a big mud rider, and i like to go fast.... Put a KnN filer on it and it gave it some juice on the low end, very highly recommend this... This is my first wheeler/polaris product, and I'm a fan all the way... I ride with guys with big bore utilitity quads and have yet to be pulled out of any hole they go thru.. keep your head up kid, once shes workin right, its a beast

Old 11-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Range Rover

I had the EXACT same problem with my Scrambler the day I brought it home from the dealership. It's that little safety switch in the throttle housing mentioned earlier. You would think they would get this stuff adjusted properly before they sell it. Don't give up on this machine, you'lll love it. I want to get a slip on for mine too. I hear the White Bros. E Series is the best for the Scrammy. I'm not sure on your jetting though. They also say that changing springs in the clutches makes a lot of difference too but I don't know anything about that. Aside from that problem mentioned above I have never had a problem with my Scrambler. Just keep up on the routine maintenance.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your response guys! I really appreciate it!

The dealer picked the bike up this morning and is delivering it back to me by Thursday. Promised they would fix it up right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] From the amount of seat time I've had thus far, the bike seems to be mostly everything I wanted. This 4 stroke is kinda funny to me. I've never been on a 4 stroke bike that had a powerband like a two stroke. Seems the Srambler is super powerful in the right RPM's.

I think I'm going to look into the White Brothers pipe w/ K&N air filter. In my past, I've piped motorcycles and they always needed rejetting. Wouldn't you need to rejet the scrambler too?

Also, anyone changed their clutch and/or springs? Never done that before. Wouldn't know what to expect out of that kind of change? What did you notice?

Thanks again for your responses.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

i HAVE AN 06 SCRAMMY TOO..................I HAVE PUT APPROXIMATELY 15 HOURS ON IT......................NO ENGINE MODS WHAT SO EVER.........................STOCK................ ......ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH IT........NADA.........ZILCH...........
FORUM SUBSCRIBER GR8ONE HAS AN 06 ALSO..................SAME AS MINE................NADA..........ZILCH..........P ROBLEMS

Old 11-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Range Rover

Yes when you pipe and filter it you will have to rejet...I'm just not sure on the new jetting as mine is still stock.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think all of you guys deserve to give credit where credit is due and warn us of who these terrible Dealers are that can't do a proper pre-delivery!

Please tell us who your selling Dealer is and where they are located.

I feel for the guy who drops the coin for a new ATV and can't keep it running 2 days later because of crappy Mfg/design or improper dealer set-up. It's just plain un-acceptable imo.

I was a victum of poor Polaris R+D on the new 500EFI with the stalling and over-heating in the first 20 min of operation. I know first hand how you must feel.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BassBlaster
Yes when you pipe and filter it you will have to rejet...I'm just not sure on the new jetting as mine is still stock.
If you find a White Bros pipe you wont have to rejet even with a K&N filter.These 500s are fat from the factory.

Quick Reply: Bought NEW Scrambler 500 on Friday! Problems on Saturday!!!!