Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Scrambler Crash - Rider Chopper'ed to Hospital!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Scrambler Crash - Rider Chopper'ed to Hospital!!

Hi Folks,

I've posted many threads on this forum asking advice on which bike to buy, MOD's, etc... This thread is going to be a bit different.

Bike: 2006 Scrambler 500 (just bought 3 weeks ago)

On Sunday, December 3rd, myself and 4 friends (all police officers and firefighters) loaded up our quads and went to a local riding spot. The place we went is great riding with many logging roads, small jumps, water, mud.... you name it.

I had just installed a White Brothers pipe on my 3 week old Scrammy and it sounded great so I asked one of my buddies to ride it so I could hear what it sounded like from a distance. Well, a buddy got on the bike, took off down a logging road and hit a small jump that launched he and the bike end over end. My friend went airborne several feet in the air and landed on his head and shoulder. THANK GOD he was wearing his helment. The helmet broke and the bike continued about 30 feet past my buddy where he laid motionless on the logging road. After an assessment, his face was bleeding badly and he had broken some bones but our real fear was his back more than anything. Considering we were all police officers and firefighters, we knew mostly what to do. Within a few minutes we had a local state police chopper in the air and in route to transport our friend to a trauma center. LUCKILY.... My friend ONLY suffered lacerations to the face, a broken collar bone and fractured 4, 5 & 6 vertebrae. He's going to be OK; however, he's got some healing to do.

As for my Scrammy..... Well.... Let's just say it's not new anymore. In fact it's trashed pretty good but it's only a bike. More importantly, my friend will be okay.

So why post this message? Perhaps we could learn something from this. I did.

Ride safely folks!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

Damn thats crazy and im sorry to hear that. I know you asked him to get on and ride it so you could hear it, but why did he nail a jump like that. I mean obviously he had to be getting some speed to do what your saying he did. I mean just personal expeirance if i ride a machine thats not mine, i definatly dont hit jumps, i dont go fast, and i treat it as if it were broke and i cant beat on it. Just for the simple reason I dont now the machine. Scrambler is still over 500 pounds and is not a machine i would just jump on and blast off a jump. I mean im by no means an expert rider so when i picked up my scrammy 2 months ago I was extramly carefull. I have a family to take care of so i guess that plays a role in the back of my head while im riding. I wish your buddy luck on his healing process and hope it taught him a bit of a leason. I just realy dont understand what he did i guess i mean was this a big jump or somthing he must have been flying to send the quad flipping threw the air. You think somthing broke on the quad causeing it to flip like that? Somthing had to happen along those lines. You have any insurance ur bike?

Old 12-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Dino, glad to hear you friend is going to be all right. Also glad you realize what is important.

So, did you get to hear what it sounded like? (albeit briefly)

Old 12-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah...

The bike sounded good for about 30 seconds. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (of course making light of a serious situation. The pipe was only a few hours old). AGAIN... Most importantly... My friend is going to be okay!!!!!

I've posted a few pictures on my bio page if anyone's interested in seeing a 3 week old Scramber 500 that's been crashed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I'm getting the dealership to look at it tomorrow for a damage assessment. I'm afraid I have frame damage.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

No insurance. Do you insure your bike? Not a bad idea.....

Old 12-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OUCH!
I hope your friend feels better soon.......had he been drinking booze at the time of the crash?

Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

No alcohol, drugs or anything like that! Just one of those unfortunate situations.

Just talked to my buddy. He's on his way home from the hospital.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

As the others have said, glad he is going to be ok. I had a simular thing happen during my first time out with my '01 Sp 500. My bro-in-law bought my scrammy and he was a little green. He got the rear wheels in a wierd position in a rut, going up a hill. I told him to ride mine up, it was easier being 4 stroke and 4X4. I'll put it this way, he'd not make a good rodeo rider, less than 8 seconds later my(new to me) quad was rolling down the hill towards me. I did what any respectable guy would do. I used his quad to stop mine from continueing down the hill! $350 later it was ready for me to be the only one to ever ride my quads again![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

About 2 years ago a buddy and me were riding I was on my 03 600 and he was on my paps 96 400 well my buddy said he had been on the road before, so we continue riding and I go across this sharp corner look behind me he never came well long story short, he slammed into a tree head first luckily I told him to wear the helmet, he was flown to the hospital and is now paralyzed from the waist down he might be able to walk again but not for sure.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

Glad to hear that your friend was able to pretty much walk away from the accident a day later, altough he might be banged up he is lucky he didn't get hurt worse. As for your quad, sry to hear about that hopefully it can be fixed reasonably. Hopefully everyone like myself who was read this post or any of the other similar posts will think "I'd rather play it safe than sorry" the next time they hop on, and also think about how that helmet can save your life.

Quick Reply: 2006 Scrambler Crash - Rider Chopper'ed to Hospital!!