Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn Backup Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Backup Light Installation

I installed a Warn Backup Light on my 04 Sportsman 400. The light works great and was pretty resonably priced. I did a typical install where the switch can be turned on anytime but know that this will lead to a dead battery due to the switch being left on or bumped. The instructions vaguely stated that the switch could be installed on the Warn winch connector block so that it can only be turned on when the key is in the on position. The standard black- and red+ battery wires plus the yellow and blue motor wires go to the connector block. Any thoughts where I would connect the red and black backup light leads to get power to the switch/light only when the key is on? Thanks

http://www.gowarn.com/search_result....rtNumber=62017

Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I dont remember the color of the wires, but when I installed my winch I had to splice one of two wires (they were not RED or BLACK, one of the wires you mention) to a wire that was only *hot* when the key was on. I used a voltometer to test the wire. The yellow is either neg or pos to the motor and I'm guessing one of them wires is what your looking for. Buy some high temp electrical tape a wire splice and some dialectic grease to keep the splice dry.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wire going to the winch should only have power when the key is on........trace that one back and check with volt meter set to D/C volts and other test lead to ground(battery)or clean part of fram....caper.......

Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Just about any red with white stripe wire is "ignition hot" but the easy answer is to pull your hot from the red w/wht stripe wire that powers your accessory outlet in the pod.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

Look around under the "hood." Sometimes there is a "SPARE" female spade connector with partial heat shrink on it. This wire is red w/ white stripe also. It is usually an "ignition hot" wire. You could plug it it there, without any splicing!