Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Information on installing clutch kits / secondary roller conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information on installing clutch kits / secondary roller conversion

I just purchased a bunch of stuff from Rick Ritter (Thanks Rick!) it should be here in the next few days. I am getting a clutch kit and HPD roller conversion, and some other misc stuff.

I consider myself a good mechanic when it comes to cars / working on the quad, but admittedly I have never worked on a ATV clutch before (never had to [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ), and I really dont fully understand what is going on in there. I have an idea, but until I open it up and "see it in action", some of it is smoke and mirrors for me.

I am sure I can figure it all out once I get elbow deep into it - but if anyone has any information that could help shed some light on what I am about to get into I would appreciate it. I just dont want to get the thing put back together and find out I should have done "X" etc and have to take it all back apart. It seems like it should be pretty straight forward - but if there are any "gotchas" you have encountered doing your own, please let me know!

Hopefully this clutch kit, HPD Roller Conversion, HPD air box mod and pro-circuit exhaust really wake this bike up - I cant wait!

Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TEAM secondary is way better than the conversion and you can swap the stocker back when you get rid of the quad.
Dont get POed at my replys but I have went through the whole thing.
What clutch kit did Rick recomend?
I would say a Dalton blk/orange w/ 10A weights
But if you want a real hard hitter the HPD or Aaen green with 10-56 weights and HPD violet or Aaen blue secondary make a great combo and keeps your rpms down in a safe zone.
If you want a great mid range set up what I run is the BOMB(check sig)

Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Well I called Rick back and changed my order to a TEAM secondary. Is TAS99 the right HPD part number for this? It shows on http://hpd-inc.com/500model.htm

Rick was going to look into which springs to use with my setup and call me back tomorrow.

I am just looking for something to significantly improve my midrange - and allow me to climb long / steep hills faster (long hills at the sand dunes).

Old 12-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

You wont regret it.Granted the HPD conversion is more tunable but that is more to mess with and now you can have a spare secondary.Let me know what springs and weights you get.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

Well we are going with a Polaris Brown primary, and a Black/Red Secondary with the TEAM roller.

I also got the HPD air box mod, and my Pro-circuit exhaust is on the way. Rick spoke to HPD I believe and they decided on the Brown primary due to my elevation and mods. Hopefully it is not too aggressive, but I think it should work out. As long as I can pull the dunes a bit faster than I was, and actually be able to pull the wheels (mainly for keeping the weight off the front end a bit for sand trail riding) I will be happy.

We will see how it goes - worst case I will have to swap out the primary spring for something less aggressive. Since I have no experience in this, and with my altitude - I let Rick call the shots on the primary [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Quad Patrol

You should be happy with what you have coming.What weights is he sending?
One thing i would check into is a tach so you can give the rpm readings to folks to help you fine tune it.
TinyTach makes a decent cheap tach and I think TrailTech has a computer speedo/tach out now too.But it is a little pricey.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ftwflh
You should be happy with what you have coming.What weights is he sending?
One thing i would check into is a tach so you can give the rpm readings to folks to help you fine tune it.
TinyTach makes a decent cheap tach and I think TrailTech has a computer speedo/tach out now too.But it is a little pricey.
10-56 weights with the polaris brown primary and TEAM secondary roller with a HPD (I think?) black/red secondary. Hows that sound to you?

I just installed my pro-circuit pipe, haven't had a chance to ride it yet, only listend to it in the garage - but that is one NICELY built pipe! All stainless, AWESOME welds, very nice "can", with a removable end cap so you can take out the spark arrestor - and swap on different caps for tuning. I am really happy with the pipe so far - definitely alot louder than stock, but I think it will be just fine for my tastes. My HPD airbox lid and clutch kit should be here this week sometime - hopefully it doesnt kick my butt too much trying to install it - sounds simple enough, but I have yet to see inside these clutch setups!

I am kinda worried that the Brown primary might be a bit too much, but I can always step it back a notch. Rick thinks itll be about right for this elevation and my riding areas. Hopefully it all works out - im anxious to get it back out to the dunes!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Quad Patrol

The 10-56 weights will bring all the parts into good harmony and it will really rock in the mid to topend range.
The HPD airbox mod isnt any trouble other than taking the plastic and gas tank off.The directions are top notch.
I would recomend putting a tach on it just to be safe on top rpms and to help fine tune.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

nvmyz28,

i am running vary similar to what your setting up. your gonna love it!!!

only other thing i would recommend is the hpd airbox/carb mod kit. your gonna wanna flow summore air and gas for that big pipe.

good luck! enjoy!

X

Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: scramblerXrated
nvmyz28,

i am running vary similar to what your setting up. your gonna love it!!!

only other thing i would recommend is the hpd airbox/carb mod kit. your gonna wanna flow summore air and gas for that big pipe.

good luck! enjoy!

X

Yup the HPD airbox / carb mod kit is on the way!