Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starter bearing replacement HOWTO

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 PM
jbp
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter bearing replacement HOWTO

The bearing in the nose of my starter (Scrambler 500) got all rusted up so the starter would not turn over. I tried to look up the part number for the bearing and there is not one. Polaris wants you to buy the entire nose piece for $75. I don't think so. First thing you do is get the bearing. It's a needle bearing measuring 21mm outside diameter, 15mm inside diameter, and 12mm long. The replacement bearing I came up with has the part number HK152112 and was under $5. The old bearing can't be pressed out since the lip of the nose cone is in the way. Here's how you get it out:

1) careful pry out the seal on the armature side of the nose cone
2) remove the small nose O-ring and the large case o-ring
3) remove the roller needles and plastic race from the bearing shell (use a pick or small screwdriver)
4) throughly clean the nose cone inside and out with brake cleaner or something
5) put the nose cone on your workbench fat end down
6) heat the nose (area around the bearing case) with a propane torch and a low flame, the aluminum nose expands more with heat than the steel bearing case - don't get crazy here
7) use a drift or screwdriver to catch the inside of the back lip of the bearing case and tap it out
8) press the new bearing in - if you don't have a press find a socket that is just a little smaller than the bearing case, put it against the bearing and use a small hammer to tap the socket and drive the bearing in - or use a socket and a bench vise to squeeze it in but don't mess up the end of the nose cone (use a piece of wood between the cone and the vise jaw) - in any case use a little oil on the outside of the bearing to help it along
9) put the seal back in

-Jim