Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video

Those riders were impressively..... slow......

That video illustrated several reasons why I did not like the IRS........

If you watch it close enough you can see the rear end doing some strange things and the rider having to back off the gas. Even on the "hole shot" scene the quad takes off to the right for no reason and rider has to correct. Going up the hill climb you can see it sneaking off to the right when that off camber hits. And a few times in the whoop section the riders had to back off or end up off the trail. And the small jumps sucked up a HUGE amount of suspension in the rear and and the riders lost a ton of speed.

That was one of the scariest things about the Outlaw to me, jumping was sketchy on take-off and landing. On a straight axle machine you land with the gas on to smooth out the landings, the Outlaw wanted to pull off the trail during gas-on landings.

Also watch the rider on the slide scenes. You have to sit almost straight up and down, risking a serious high-side incident if any traction kicks in during those slides. But if you lean too far in on the Outlaw the rear won't slide. You have to drive it like a car where you use body roll and inertia to make the slide in a swing back fashion.

I think the problem is going to be, in order to make the rear suspension act the right way, you are going to have to make it too stiff to be comfortable. The rear needs some sort of stabilizer or torsion bad to control the lateral shift, and they need to come up with a way to synchronize the power to the rear wheels so it imitates a locking rear differential or something.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camber change through the suspension travel range and tire scrub may be part of what you feel different from a solid axle machine. A trailing arm setup like Can Am would help cure that I would think.
It will have it's strengths and weakness's like anything else, some people will adjust to it and some won't just depends on the application.....

Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ss97
Those riders were impressively..... slow......

That video illustrated several reasons why I did not like the IRS........

If you watch it close enough you can see the rear end doing some strange things and the rider having to back off the gas. Even on the "hole shot" scene the quad takes off to the right for no reason and rider has to correct. Going up the hill climb you can see it sneaking off to the right when that off camber hits. And a few times in the whoop section the riders had to back off or end up off the trail. And the small jumps sucked up a HUGE amount of suspension in the rear and and the riders lost a ton of speed.

That was one of the scariest things about the Outlaw to me, jumping was sketchy on take-off and landing. On a straight axle machine you land with the gas on to smooth out the landings, the Outlaw wanted to pull off the trail during gas-on landings.

Also watch the rider on the slide scenes. You have to sit almost straight up and down, risking a serious high-side incident if any traction kicks in during those slides. But if you lean too far in on the Outlaw the rear won't slide. You have to drive it like a car where you use body roll and inertia to make the slide in a swing back fashion.

I think the problem is going to be, in order to make the rear suspension act the right way, you are going to have to make it too stiff to be comfortable. The rear needs some sort of stabilizer or torsion bad to control the lateral shift, and they need to come up with a way to synchronize the power to the rear wheels so it imitates a locking rear differential or something.
1st It does have a spool in the rear.
2nd It does have a swaybar.
3rd The flat landings were do his slow speed.
4th It would slide better with bias rear tires.
5th Any quad will pull to either side due to traction coditions.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

1st It does have a spool in the rear.
2nd It does have a swaybar.
3rd The flat landings were do his slow speed.
4th It would slide better with bias rear tires.
5th Any quad will pull to either side due to traction coditions.

Well then the components need to be designed better or something because they don't do their job properly.

And it looked to me like the riders were very careful not to hit the jumps hard and I know why since I rode one. If you hit the face of the launch even a little off you launch off to one side. The flat landings might have been due to slow speeds but the slow speeds were due to the suspension set up. My wife hits jumps harder than that on her Raptor350. Not to mention that the suspension was used up during that staggering 6-inches of air which means it was set up very soft. This in fact confirms the fact I pointed out that setting up the rear suspension hard enough to be aggressive also makes the machine too much to handle.

And no; a straight axle quad will track straight if the front wheels are pointed that way. I've gone down trails totally sideways but STILL going straight down the trails. The IRS simply cannot do that the same way.

With a straight axle you can still be going straight and the back end can be swapping side-to-side under you with virtually no effect. When an IRS machine starts swapping you are in serious trouble because more throttle and leaning back does not correct the problem but rather makes it worse.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Notice too all the jumps were just rolled up. There was no "gas-on" launching off the face of the jumps because of how sketchy it is.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

An observation by a rider was that the rear end is heavy when lifting, as compared to others, and you must take care too not to burn your fingers on the pipe.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rundrave
to those that for whatever reason feel compelled to turn an information thread into their personal issue platform and do nothing but bash. If you feel this model or any other is not to your liking, then by all means do not buy it. If you have factual information about this or any model, wether it be positive or negative, please post it.

I saw that quote over on exriders from all the naysayers that got nothing better to do than troll. Thought it would fit nicely here.

maddog56 Go back to your yamaha section and cry over there about it.
FIRST OFF... dont even start to say things like that... i have been around for a long long time not posting often, and it gets really really annoying to see people bash and then SOMEONE has to come in and tell them not to and leave... its never ending so it doesnt pay to waist your time

and second polaris now owns 30% of KTM witch means they are now a part of polaris, yes KTM makes the engines but polaris owns them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

ss97, your making a lot of assumptions for someone who wasn't there. You act like you know everything about the Outlaw with all your seat time, yet you didn't even know it has a sway bar in the rear. I thought you said you had a lot of seat time on one. Sounds like your a IRS hater and will put it down any chance you get. In fact that is exactly what you have done. Also, it sounds like you never take off fast either. I don't care what quad you have, if one rear tire has more traction then another, it will spin you sideways just like it did in the video. As far as there slow speed jumping, mayby that is all they could do. They were in the desert and not a race track. One jump was off a 4' drop off. And he landed on one rear wheel but still landed soft. If that was a sra, it would of slamed him hard. The other was slow as the camera guy was right in front of him. Did you ever think there might not of been any kind of landing area to do it any faster? Were you there? As far as the up hill and him going off to the side, if you heard his interview he said he showed how it can strattle ruts in the washouts. So like I've told you before, you can not, and I repete, YOU CAN NOT ride the Outlaw like a solid axle. It's a different style of riding, but once you have it down, it rips. You sound like the guys who said IRS wouldn't make it in a utility back in the late 90's, yet now everyone has them. Well don't be suprised to see others follow along as they will get better year after year. Again, if you want to race and see what one can really do, the AGP series of XC racing is right in your neck of the woods. I would gladly meet you and do a little comparrison between my Outlaw and your 400.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

[q
and second polaris now owns 30% of KTM witch means they are now a part of polaris, yes KTM makes the engines but polaris owns them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][/quote]

Actually Polaris sold most of the stock, but still own 5%. But Polaris still has a long term engine contract with KTM.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GE4x4
ss97, your making a lot of assumptions for someone who wasn't there. You act like you know everything about the Outlaw with all your seat time, yet you didn't even know it has a sway bar in the rear. I thought you said you had a lot of seat time on one. Sounds like your a IRS hater and will put it down any chance you get. In fact that is exactly what you have done. Also, it sounds like you never take off fast either. I don't care what quad you have, if one rear tire has more traction then another, it will spin you sideways just like it did in the video. As far as there slow speed jumping, mayby that is all they could do. They were in the desert and not a race track. One jump was off a 4' drop off. And he landed on one rear wheel but still landed soft. If that was a sra, it would of slamed him hard. The other was slow as the camera guy was right in front of him. Did you ever think there might not of been any kind of landing area to do it any faster? Were you there? As far as the up hill and him going off to the side, if you heard his interview he said he showed how it can strattle ruts in the washouts. So like I've told you before, you can not, and I repete, YOU CAN NOT ride the Outlaw like a solid axle. It's a different style of riding, but once you have it down, it rips. You sound like the guys who said IRS wouldn't make it in a utility back in the late 90's, yet now everyone has them. Well don't be suprised to see others follow along as they will get better year after year. Again, if you want to race and see what one can really do, the AGP series of XC racing is right in your neck of the woods. I would gladly meet you and do a little comparrison between my Outlaw and your 400.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Your right ge4x4, The outlaw has got the irs and Polaris haters all shook up. I didn't no that Polaris has sold there stock of KTM I haven't read that any where. I wish they would have kept it. Polaris needs to build there own sport quad engine I think!! Would be expensive but I think it would be good in the long run. I think I will go with Jeff Stoess opinion instead of ss97

Quick Reply: exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video