Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Manual tranny help anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual tranny help anyone??

Ok, I own a 2000 polaris expedition 425. Have had it since new. A great quad that has served my flawlessly for 4000 miles, until yesterday. While driving, I shifted the manual shifter to a higher gear, 3rd gear to be exact. When all of a sudden a grinding occured and I stopped going forward. At first, I thought a u-joint probably went out, but once I saw the u-joint was fine, I was wishing it was a u-joint. I grabbed the driveshaft coming from the tranny to the rear end and I could rotate it by hand, even though the quad was in gear. It clicks as I rotated it around by hand. I put the quad in 4wd to get home, slooowly. The rear drive shaft does turn around but has no power to turn the rear end it keeps clicking as it rotates. I parked it and havent had a chace to give it a good look over yet. I wont split the engine/tranny to see the trouble, that goes beyond my skills. I was hoping someone with some insight could take a stab at the possible trouble. I know this particular machine wasnt the most popular quad polaris made. So I'd doubt that someone here has had to deal with this issue. But I know there much wisdom among you guys. Thanks

Old 01-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, thats a tough one I wish I could help. Where is Rice in MN, I could maby take a look if you were close. Not employed right now.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

The big town of Rice, mn is about 15 minutes north of St.Cloud on hwy 10. The bigger question is, just where is Hanley Falls?

I looked a bit closer at my quad last evening. The funny thing is when the machine is in neutral, I can rotate the drive shaft in both directions like normal, but the clicking or grinding still occurs. I did notice there are four bolts on the back end of the tranny, that seem to hold some kind of plate, and the drive shaft goes through the center of this plate. It seems this is where the noise is coming from. I was wondering if there spindles on the end of the shaft inside of this plate that could have stripped somehow. I'll probably ask the local dealer if they have a clue, before I have them actually dig into it. I hate the feeling on not having any indication of the problem before I talk to the dealer. Its a bit easier for the dealer to "rake me over the coals a bit more". I'd be interested in trading it off, but I just dont think the dealer will touch it if more than an easy fix. Even if it is a easy fix, the dealer sure wouldn't tell me and offer me nothing for the machine. What to do, what to do!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Where is Hanley Falls? We are the big town of about 200 people 10 miles south of Granite Falls on Hwy 23. Our claim to fame? Nothing, but we do have Minnesota's Machinery Museum.

If you have questions about what is behind the plate go to www.yourwaytofun.com for a parts diagram for all Polaris ATVs. This should help you out without having to buy a manual. Click on microfich.