Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP700 new tires: ITP 589's or Carlisle ACT's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP700 new tires: ITP 589's or Carlisle ACT's?

Time to replace the original tires on my 2004 SP700.

Application: Trails, rocks, and (sometimes deep) snow. No mud. No sand.

I've read lots of good things about the 589's. The ACT's look like the retail version of the Polaris PXT's. Both are 6 ply. The ACT's are radials and I believe the 589's are as well. The treads aren't THAT much different. The ACT is a newer design but the 589's have lots of history.

There's also ITP's TerraCross but I haven't been able to learn much about it.

What's the word on the street about these tires? Any obvious Yes's or No's here? Any personal experience with them?

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

ITP 589's are bias ply. They wear like iron, ride well on hardpack, but are really designed for sloppy stuff. I have ridden with mine in all conditions and never even put a scratch in one. You might be happier with a radial tire for your conditions.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Good question. I had the stock PXT tires on my 800 for about a year and are a good all around tire. I especially liked them on the trail, but I did have a problem is snow. The 8" front tires seemd a little loose and flex alot and I ended up really dinging and bending the stock rims with 5psi. I also never felt like I could keep up in the snow and mud with my buds who have ITP 589s and MudLites. When buying new tires I went with the new Mudlite XTRs. They are radials and have a good smoothe ride with excelent traction. They do seem to push a little in the front, but I would recomend them. Also look at Maxxis Bighorn Radials and Swamplites.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Now I've had someone strongly recommend the Maxxis Bighorns. Reasons were strength and durability. They admitted they were pretty heavy but I guess that's a tradeoff for strength and durability. This is a utility ATV, not a sport ATV, so speed off the line isn't as crucial.

So many options....

Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

I have ridden my 589s on the gnarliest rock trails we have to offer, and still have yet to harm them at all. The PXTs survived only 7 miles of that. The 589s are awesome in the slop as well!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dieselisbe
The PXTs survived only 7 miles of that.
Really? Something happened after seven miles?!? Share the story!

How do the 589's handle hardpack trails?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Range Rover

The maxxis big horn is the best tire on the market along with the GBC dittammer. These tires are both ridials. Working at a tire shop i know i good tire when i see one. Not that the 589 is a bad tire it just likes to be ridden on soft terrian. Besides if you ride at winter the tire would benifit you greatly. All in all i would go with a ITP, GBC, or MAXXIS.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 310
The maxxis big horn is the best tire on the market along with the GBC dittammer. Not that the 589 is a bad tire it just likes to be ridden on soft terrian. Besides if you ride at winter the tire would benifit you greatly.
Thanks for your comment! The Bighorn is starting to look better and better. Danged expensive, though.

I do ride in snow (sometimes DEEP snow) so I have to think of the whole range... hardpack trails, rock climbing, and snow. I don't understand your last sentence. Which of the tires would be beneficial in the winter? The Bighorn, or the Dirt Tamer, or the 589?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 310
The maxxis big horn is the best tire on the market along with the GBC dittammer. These tires are both ridials. Working at a tire shop i know i good tire when i see one. Not that the 589 is a bad tire it just likes to be ridden on soft terrian. Besides if you ride at winter the tire would benifit you greatly. All in all i would go with a ITP, GBC, or MAXXIS.
The Dirt Tamers are not radials, they are bias.......They have basically the same tread pattern as the Bighorns but are a little cheaper in price....My buddy has them and they are awesome tires and are wearing well........They also ride great even for a bias tire.......

http://www.atvoutfitters.net/gbc_dirt_tamer_tires.htm

John

Old 02-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

The Dirt Tamers are not radials, they are bias.......They have basically the same tread pattern as the Bighorns but are a little cheaper in price....My buddy has them and they are awesome tires and are wearing well........They also ride great even for a bias tire.......
The only complaints I've heard about them are that they are 1) heavy and 2) expensive. The latter doesn't bother me too much if they last a long time, and on a utility ATV the former isn't that big a deal. I don't try to race the sport ATV's anyway. [grin]

Quick Reply: SP700 new tires: ITP 589's or Carlisle ACT's?