Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!

I have a 2003 sportsman 700. the other day i put it thruough the ice while on a fishing trip.... it was 10 o clock at nite and botu -5 degrees.....it was about 10 ft deep and i got my buddies and we went back bout 5 hrs later and spent about 6 hrs geting it but we finally got it out. as soon as we got it out we rushed it to a garage and put it int here with a heater. iplan on letting in there for bout 2-3 days so everything unthaws, then drainging all fluids and goign from there.....

I need to know if this thing is a totall loss or if it can be fixed and if it can be fixed what i all need to do....

thanks everyone

Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Guessing the motor was running when it went in.
Long as you didn't hydrolock the motor you should be able to drop all the fluids. I would personally fush the oil make sure you get all the water out. as well as the gear box and every other thing in the atv the holds fluid.
But a non running engine is just a big hunk of metal so if you didn't hydro lock it or short anything out i would think it will be fine.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

being water for a period of time wheather froze or just water has the same effect as long as you dry it out completely. like he said drain everythinga nd the oil will have to be a few times im betting. the electronics is the only thing i would be worried about w/ that much time under water but its hard to tell. dry it out good under good heat for a few days like you said before you try it.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes it was running when it went in and the lights stayed on the whole time we were trying to pullit out...thanks for your help so much guys

Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, I've always wondered... So it obviously floated. Did it turn upside down? How far out of the water did it sit?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.

My buddy sank his 400 in a river and it was upside down for 2 hours before we got it out. Came back next day drained everthing even exhaust, dried it out changed all the fluid's and the thing still runs great.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

actually it was on a lake where theres open water due to aerator things to keep oxygen in the water
the whole lake ahs a good ice and then theres like 30 ft open holes with bubbling water int hem and my dumb a$$ ran into one int he nite time....so as soon as i got my cold a$$ out and back to the cabin warmed up we went out and it was sitting just barely under the water like 4 inches the rear end was and the front was down so it was like standing on its front so we got out lil boat and went out there and i tried hooking it with a chain...as i tried to do that a bucnh of bubbles cam out and it sank right down.....so we just left it and cam back and fished for it the next mrongin andgot it and pulled it up it was upside down.....we then used a truck and another wheeleer and just kept trying to get tit to flip and pull it out

Old 02-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man that sucks. I was with my buddy a few years back when he dumped his truck in 30 feet of water. Pretty scary stuff. Good to here you got out safe. Been alot of people this year getting killed in MN with their vehicles, atv's and snowmobiles going in the water.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Just a question, but will insurance do anything for you?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

I would bet that if the thing isn't trashed, then you will eventually have wierd issues. ALL the contactors would pretty much have to be soaked. Like the ignition switch,headlight switch ,AWD, speedo, and the charging system, oh I hate to think of the possible damage. All those things will probably start to rust and give you problems. I would pull the spark plug and GENTLY pull the rope to rotate the engine SLOWLY after the oil changes. Make sure the engine rotates freely before trying to start it. Go to AUTOZONE or ADVANCED to buy your oil and filters. Polaris brand filters are almost $10, they have them in the lawnmower isle for about $6. Good luck, keep us posted. Oh yeah, welcome to the forums![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!