Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!

I can't count the number of times my honda 300 4x4 has been totally submerged. More than once for several hours as I had to get help to recover it. At least twice were overnight that I can recall. It's still running fine. Older machine with less electronics but the engine stuff still applies.

You've received good advice. Get it home and get that water out of the engine trans, gears and other mechanicals. Flush them thoroughly. Refill and re filter and do a change quite soon after. You will need to go through electrical connections and check for water intrusions and basically go through the machine with a fine tooth comb. Check every nook and cranny and check for water and mud and any possible problem. It's going to take some time and don't rush it. Keep things clean. Clean all the connections and make sure they are tight and waterproof. Use electrical grease if needed.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pieps57
Wow guys thank u so much for allt he feedback

a few things

i got everything drained out and letting it sit in the nice warm garage...i do not have a pull start on mine its only thru the key but i will do the kerosine thing and look into the other things....
I went back to reread your original post, I thought this was a 500. Oh well, guess you'd know. LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little story to go with this - I knew a guy that droped his truck in about 20 feet of water. His story was he calmly rode it to the bottom, waited for the water to even the pressure so he could open a door, and then swam out. When they pulled the truck out, both doors were caved out where he had panicked and kicked both doors open!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like the one guy said here dry all electrical connections then put some dielectrical grease in them when you put them back together .

Old 02-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear that happened. Any chance the water froze inside anything and cracked it?

On the brighter side...that's one way to clean out all the nooks and cranies.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry ... I'm back. I had to change my drawers (I peed them) and had to go get my head bandaged up (I banged it on the floor when I fell over laughing) and I had to get the stitches in my side of course ... but I'm OK now.

Last weekend a lady drove her golf cart into the canal at Gordons and they were driving it the next day.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

While you are on the topic, I found out on Monday that 5 individuals on snowmobiles where out on the ice near Sodus Bay in upstate New York. They were drinking and having a good time until---------SPLASH!!!! All five snowmobiles went through the ice. I am unsure of the depth of the water. The fire dept was able to rescue them. No one died that I am aware of. 2 had to be taken to the hospital. I am glad they are OK, but I know where there are 5 snowmobiles if anyone is interested!!