Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A lesson taught to dealer......

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to post about today's outing and get some thoughts from others.

I have dropped by not so local dealers occasionally to see what they had in stock and check out the used line up. All the dealers in this area have a snobbish air about them when you walk in except one which never has anything in stock (only 2 at last visit). They all have more business than they know what to do with. The quads are way over priced and they get what they want for them. They fly out so fast that they cant keep them in stock!

Well, this morning I went down to the bank and drained my special savings to have cash in hand since I was going to be near the largest Polaris dealer in the area later in the day.

As I entered, the guy I had spoken with last time walked right by me as if he was too busy to even care that he had a costomer. I browsed around anyway. I saw 3 used and 1 new quad I was interested in. I stood around waiting for service long enough and started towards the exit. The owner stopped me to inquire if I needed any help. Before I could say anything, the guy mentioned earlier walked by and rattled off "he's been in here before" as to imply I wasn't worth talking to.

At 1st I thought surely I had taken it the wrong way. Then I walked back to inquire on some prices. Another guy had to give them to me as he just brushed me off.

Needless to say, I became offended. I walked back up to the counter by the owner, slammed down a wad of money and said "I came in here with cash in hand on my 2nd visit here this year. I saw 4 quads I liked and here lays enough cash for any of them. But, I guess my money is not good enough here since I didn't buy on the 1st visit months ago. Your sales people have big heads because of all the business you get. I'll just take my money and business elsewhere." Then, I picked up my money and walked out!

Old 12-16-2000, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

GOOD JOB MAN!!

Old 12-16-2000, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Good for you !!

Most of the dealers here are the same. The Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer is the worst. They've been in business for over fifty years here, and they know that if you want one, you'll buy it from them. Nobody around here will budge on list price either.

Dave

Old 12-16-2000, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Being ignored is frustrating; I sometimes think I have a face that looks like it's already been waited on! (Courtesy Reader's Digest.)

Did you take your money elsewhere and buy a quad? Here's hoping you find the dealership and ATV you want.

Diogenes

P.S. Just for the record, what lesson exactly do you believe you taught the dealership, and what changes, if any, do you expect from them? One would hope for better service and a more customer-friendly attitude resulting from your "lesson," but is that expectation realistic?

D.

Old 12-16-2000, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Most of the Big Dealers are jerks, I would go to a little "small town" Dealership. I know over the summer when I bought a Kawasaki Dirtbike (later to be sold after I crashed) I went to Indians biggest Dealerships called Maxx Pitts and their service sucked. I had to pay $200.00 over retail price because they were the only people to have this bike in stock (supply and demand sucks) and then about a month later I found the same exact bike in at a little dealer ship and the pice said to call so I did (just to find out) andhe said he would give it to me for $100 under the retail price and was nice as could be. Those little dealers are the way to go.

Old 12-16-2000, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

i go to Tousley Motorsports in Maplewood, Minnesota, they are a huge dealership, i think the sales people are pretty good, they usually have a bunch of them running around, i bought a grizzly in july and when i go back the salesman asks hows it going and chats a little, last week he gave me his tire pressure gage, so some places are pretty good even if they are big, they were a smaller dealership until they moved in to the new big building

Old 12-16-2000, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

When I go to the big dealership here in lincoln, I always get a "What can I do for you today?" No matter how busy they are. Even though I just look at all the toys, they always ask if I've been riding lately, how's the quad running, etc.. They even let me try out just about all the wheelers if I'm there when they are getting ready to close, as they let me help drive in all the atv's and dirtbikes parked outside. Sure, the owner might not be the easiest to bargain with, but all the employees are great to deal with. Hell, I'll walk right by the "employees only" sign and go into the shop to see what's going on, and they don't seem to bother. But, every since I was little I used to go into the store and sit on all the toys while my parents were chatting with family at the resturant across the street, so that might help, too, being a familiar face.

Old 12-16-2000, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

Nice story. I am a dealer as well, not quads, but I manage Suzuki automotive dealership. A fresh, new salesperson is always the best to get a hold of. They do not pre-qualify customers that walk in the door. I'm sure after you left the owner had a few words with the entire sales staff. I know if that happened at my store I would go ballistic for sure. Sometimes it is hard to present the positve, happy image 24/7 when you are selling, but reminders such as yours do not go un-noticed and I'm sure the salesperson is kicking himself now. What you could have done is probably gotten the best deal right there on the spot from the owner, I'm sure he would have rubbed in the salespersons face too.

Old 12-16-2000, 04:43 PM
Range Rover

Good job - that'd be the last time I set foot in that dealer. Maybe you should try a small town dealer. My dealer here in Ohio runs a farm implement place that has basically turned to a full time ATV shop. I believe his farm implement sales and repairs were floundering so he started selling Polaris and only deals in Polaris except for used stuff he occasionaly takes on trade. He always has plenty of stock and is very busy doing maintenance for folks. When you walk in, you don't get a sales blitz or arrogance. Just time to look and answers to any question you have. When it comes to repairs - service isn't always the fastest - but appears to be good honest work.
I think with the big city dealers, they're not interested unless you pull on the lot driving a brand new $35,000 4x4 with a trailer in tow ready to take the most expensive ATV they have off the lot after financing it through them at 20% interest for 5 years.

Old 12-16-2000, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

congratulations, man!

Quick Reply: A lesson taught to dealer......