Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Choke Problems - 34mm CV Mikuni

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke Problems - 34mm CV Mikuni

2005 SP 400

I notice that when I pulled the cable from the carb that they are not attached to one another. There is a pin on the end of the cable that slides into an orifice in the carb. How does the the cable actuate the choke plate?
The cable and choke plate move independently of each other when disassembled. The choke plate just doesn't move as the cable is pulled when the cable and carb are assembled.
I cleaned out the carb and lubed the cable.
I hear air from a diaphragm as I slide the choke plate manually.
Any ideas?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

If its like my 700 carb, the choke is not really a choke it is an enrichment jet. What you are thinking is the choke is the throttle slide which slides up and down and when you manually push that slide up you can see a needle sticking out of the bottom of it . am I getting this right?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Speeddrive1
If its like my 700 carb, the choke is not really a choke it is an enrichment jet. What you are thinking is the choke is the throttle slide which slides up and down and when you manually push that slide up you can see a needle sticking out of the bottom of it . am I getting this right?
That sound right. It's a slide on the opposite side of the throttle butterfly.

The machine is very hard to start when cold. The choke cable won't stay pulled out (tightened nut behind **** on cable) and has zero effect when trying to start machine.

I assume the enrichment jet is vacuum operated? I guess that's the diaphragm I hear.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Range Rover

you have a cv which means constant velocity carb, when you give choke, the carb shuts off air flow and gives it almost raw fuel, so there is no choke plate there is a plunger.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:04 AM
Pro Rider

The choke cable screws into the side of the carb with a plastic nut. Being very careful, turn the plastic nut counter clockwise until out and pull the choke plunger out. Now with the plunger out move the choke lever back and forth to make sure it travels freely. The plunger may pull out of the carb hard. this is where the problem is, they get stuck in there.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jta4455
you have a cv which means constant velocity carb, when you give choke, the carb shuts off air flow and gives it almost raw fuel, so there is no choke plate there is a plunger.
Thanks.

Originally posted by: Speeddrive1
The choke cable screws into the side of the carb with a plastic nut. Being very careful, turn the plastic nut counter clockwise until out and pull the choke plunger out. Now with the plunger out move the choke lever back and forth to make sure it travels freely. The plunger may pull out of the carb hard. this is where the problem is, they get stuck in there.
The cable does move.

I re-assembled it after cleaning it and the cable still doesn't stay pulled out. It is not bound anywhere.

Once when starting, I pulled the hose between the carb and air filter to choke it manually and fuel poured out. It was flooded. I did have it re-jetted a couple of months ago. Could something have happened then? It runs OK once it's started but has a hard time idling.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Take the carb off and remove the top and the diaphram,inside the slide is a needle , tip the slide upside down and catch the needle in your hand, lower the clip on the needle one notch and re-assemble. This should cure the coldblooded thing.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kerbbirds
Take the carb off and remove the top and the diaphram,inside the slide is a needle , tip the slide upside down and catch the needle in your hand, lower the clip on the needle one notch and re-assemble. This should cure the coldblooded thing.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
I broke the plastic "tension" nut on the choke cable near the pull **** today. It may have been cracked and why the cable won't stay out.