Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Polaris 500X2

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Polaris 500X2

I recently had to purchase a two passanger atv, and ended up with the Polaris X2. I have never owned a Polaris product, and for some reason always thought they were a second class machine.

This is the finest ATV that I've ever owned. The first thing I noticed was the ease of steering. Then when I used the turf saver mode I just couldn't believe how easy it is to turn. I just had hand sugery, but it isn't going to be a problem. I find that I use the turf mode around the farm as it not only doesn't tear up the turf, but it also saves on tire scuffing. I have noticed that the machine is not as stable above 30 mph when in the turf saver mode. It's better to leave it in two wheel drive when traveling down hard pavement at higher speeds.

I love the fuel injection, and started it in freezing weather with no cold start problems. The engine has plenty of power for two, and I've climbed some extreme hills carrying my wife and I and had no problems. I also noticed that the machine had no tendencies to raise the front end with two on board while climbing steep grades or coming out of ditches. My wife complained that the rear seat is a little hard and not as soft as the rear seat on my cousins 800 Bombardier. It is slick the way the rear dump bed converts to a second seat, and I actually prefer the dump bed over a rack because of the sides. You can load firewood, etc, and don't have to always strap it down.

I am going to take a piece of 1/8 inch aircraft grade aluminum and made a skid plate for the bottom. I noticed that the bottom has a lot of openings that could catch a stick or sharp rock. The one thing I didn't like was that the electric fuel pump in inside the gas tank, and if it goes bad you have to replace the tank also. This could be an expensive fix for a fuel pump gone bad.

The suspension and handling are the best that I have experience, and I'm a Polaris believer now. I purchased my unit from the dealer in Harrison, Arksansas and was very pleased with the service. I paid $7000 for the machine, and don't have to pay for it until December, 2007. I figured I saved an extra $380 by using their money for the year.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin frankhottes

Interestin how different riders like different setups, I find that ridin in turf mode on pavement makes mine feel free-er, and gives me more control,
My Wife didn't like the rear seat either, I had the rattle kit put on and had to put a leather strip on mine so my Wife (4'11', 105 lbs) won't slip all over back there plus added some foam, I also put the foot stirrups on for her, (she / Wife, rides quieter now) I had em thrown in when I bought mine,

Old 02-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

Frankhottes,

I agree, the X2 is an excellent trail and work machine.

I have owned several Sportsman ATVs (and other brands) and this is by far the best I have driven.

But Polaris made two blunders with the design,

The first is the passenger seat. The X2 seat is suited only for a short ride. My wife is used to the aftermarket seat/cargo box that we used on the regular Sportsman. I discovered that the X2 backrest is easily removed (2 bolts) and our old Kimpex seat fits in the box nicely. The Kimpex seat provides passenger comfort for long rides and lots of storage space.

The second blunder is the lack of a bumper mount. The tilting feature for the box prevents easy installation of a bumper. I personally find the tilting feature useless except for providing easy access for replacing my transmission fluid and other maintenance work. It may be nice to lift the box for some applications, but not at the expense of a bumper! Polaris, what were you guys thinking??

As for the skid plate, you won't need it. The under belly of the Sportsman is bullet proof and you won't have to worry about sticks or rocks.

You can see my seat and rear bumper at :

http://atvquadsquad.com/eve/forums/a...4/m/9031092624

Ebel

Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Afternoon ebel
The tilting feature ain't to bad,, It makes it easy to get to the 2 rear clips for the air box, (that's a heck of a lot of work they put on the X-2 just for that, huh? ) Other then that, It ain't worth much,, Looks cool tho..

(((copied)))
Posted February 07, 2007 12:07 PM
K boys, It's a lil rough but I'm just gettin the lay out, My Wife can tuck and roll and we will tuck and roll all 3 seats later on in the year, She is only 4'11" and 105 lbs (The Wife ) and when we go ridin, she is all over back there,, Soooo,, I made this so she can stay put,
the seat
I cut a piece of carpet first with sides on it and put it on for her to try,, she liked the feel of not movin round back there, I have some black shoe dye commin, I MIGHT dye it,, But it's only temp.

I agree with the lack of a bumper mount.
The skid plates are ok for me but, I did get the radiator guard
guard

Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

The rear seat foam is molded and looks as if I can't recover some softer foam for my wife. I think the best solution is to just leave her home and not listen to her nagging over my shoulder.

Thanks for the info on the bottom. I'll leave it for now and see how it works out. I'm going to take it to Barkshed Rd. south of Mountain Home, Arkansas this week if it stays nice, and there are some extreme trails with big bolders that love to hang up on the bottom.

I actually love the dump box here in Arkansas. I can pick up rocks in the pasture, and then dump them elsewhere without having to unload them. Just pull the lever and out they go.

I was riding today and decided it was broken in enough to check the top speed. According to my GPS is was running 56 mph. I cannot see why you would want to go any faster on a four wheeler. I was more at ease on this machine than others at high speeds.

You guys have to remember though, I'm an older fellow, 59, and 56 on a four wheeler scares the ---- out of me.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Just wanted to post this. I ordered on of those koplin fuel packs for the X2. I got it this evening and it fits the front rack perfectly. Really trick the way it clears the handlebar light