Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)

Make sure you have the correct plug. Polaris did do a recall for 05 with the plug. you also might want to call your local dealer give the vin and see what recalls were done on your machine their is a couple of them. But I think if you just get the cable adjusted and the switch that rick and I mentioned you will be fine. Good luck

Old 02-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)

that throttle control is junk , i had my dealer upgrade mine [ they changed it in 06 , as well as the spark plug ] .......

Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 AM

so what kinda plugs do they run in most polarisis now??? like the phoenix?? and others

Old 02-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 200 '05 and it has been in the shop more then in the sand. Thanks for the info on the cutoff switch making it backfire. No one at the dealership has said anything about it. The manual I have does not spec the plug gapping and this quad is a bugger to start. It floods out real easy and it runs really rich. Is the carb settings adjustable without taking it down and replacing the needles? Is their a hotter plug for it to make it start easier. My wife drives it and I am always having to start it for her since it seems to flood out quickly.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replce the jets if its too rich?!?! carb shoudl not need cleanin on new quad and the same for the plug. It has to be the jetting

Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2005 phoenix and it back fires too. Usually at top end. What do I do to the throttle/ throttle switch exactly (please describe for me)?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

adjust the cable so there is just a little slack in it at the thumb throttle, the adjustment is about 4 inches from the throttle in the cable, the high idle might be because the air fuel screwis out too far, some have a brass cover over the screwwhich is on the bottom of the carb, drill a small hole in the brass only and screw a sheet metal screw in it and pull the cover out and throw it away.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally got my Polaris running for an entire weekend at Pismo. Out side of the engine being really underpowered for a 200 cc it is runing good. The running rough and backfiring are two seperate but related issues. The adjustment of the throttle is not explained in any manual I have found yet. If their is a proceedure other the bypassing it I have not seen it. The other reason a polaris phoenix backfires is a pressure leak in the intake manifold. Unless you are really lucky you have to pressureize to find them. I like gaping the plug to .20 and I will try that to see what difference it makes. This machine is dificult to work on and takes a lot of patience to get everything right. It is a good bike to learn on because it will not go to fast and is an automatic. My 65 year old wife likes it because it is not real fast and she does not have to shif it. A little starting fluid when it is starting to run rough or hard to start, helps clean the plug quickly without having to disassemble.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a phoenix for my wife and I have been trying for over a month, to squeeze a little more power out of it . I recently fabricated my own pipe and fitted it myself since there were none I could find for my quad. I have bought Dyno jets jet kit, a Uni filter opend the air box up for more air. During my modifications My phoenix started popping back through the carb. After numerous jet changes adjustments and needle tuning I discovered two hoses sticking out of the intake between the carb and head. One hose was open the other contained a funky plug I plugged the open hose while the quad was running and behold as smooth as silk it was a big vacuum leak. Now it runs great. Check these hoses both sides were heat cracked so I changed both. I hope this helps
T

Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great information. I would sure like the specs on that pipe.

Quick Reply: Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)