Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)

I bought this quad today and it was running rough idling and part throttle so I figured the carb needed cleaning. I got it home and cleaned the carb and tried to adjust it. The idle is high even with the idle screw backed out all the way. Its backfring and popping out the exhaust too when idling or part throttle. The air mixture screw on the side does nothing and was shut off. I turned it and it makes no difference. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake to check for vacuum leaks, no luck. It has a new plug form the dealer and air filter. It seems to run good only at wot. Does it sound like the valves are off? Am I missing a electronic hold out? I work on quads but never a Phoenix till now. I will send you $20 paypal if you can help me fix this dang thing! Im serious!
Ken 919-550-1765
Clayton NC

Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)

There are people on here that will be glad to help you.....And you can keep your $20.00 for gas..
This is the Polaris forum........The others may charge you more....LOL..LOL........Caper.........

isnt te phoenix a two stroke??? if so no valves

Trailblazer

Sounds like you need to do a better, more thorough cleaning job. How about a full dis-assembly of the carb, making sure that all needles, jets, ports, are cleaned spotless. Get a good manual and follow the step-by-steps for the job. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

The carb had no debris in it. I blew out all jets,pilot and main and needle valve and seat and every port. I am a pretty good atv mechanic [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] but am lost on this one due to lack of experience with the Phoenix. (Its a four stroke btw) It idles REAL choppy (like a two stroke,lol) and I cannot get it to idle low at all! Before I rip off all the plastic to check the valves I wanted some experienced input.
thanks guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

In your throttle their is a switch that cuts the spark when released for safty this is why its backfiring. you can disconnect it but I didnt tell you to do that. How many hr does it have I highly dought the valves could be your problem but I wouldnt rule it out. make sure your needle valve is properly adjusted and floots.
go back over your carb and give it anotheir try. I think its in your needle and you should be golden. P.S keep your $20.00 you will want to invest in a manual and I bought one on ebay for an 06 phoenix and sawtooth they both have the same motor and I to have an 05 for my son which I'm getting rid of I boought him a 350 raptor a great machine. Good luck let us know how you make out.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will check those issues tomorrow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] thanks! What can cause such a choppy & high idle? Its backfiring sitting here running idling high and when you let out of the throttle. Do you know the stock needle height? It idles literally like a two stroke and will not idle down and the cable is adjusted with all the slack available. The plug is also black. Thanks again! Ill get back on it tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:11 PM

now sudsy? are u talking about the the automatic kill switch if the throtal gets stuck open ??? it kinda does sound like that i know if the throtal cable is to lose it will kick this kill switch in it happend on mi indy just ask sten about that one he helped me with that set up hes a good guy

Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

I aggree - it's the switch in the throttle housing . Get it set right you are good to go .

On another note if it starts hard gap the plug to around .020" . The wimpy spark the quad throws really likes a tight gapped plug . When I get mine going again with the ported head , cam and big carb I am going to see about getting a little hotter fire out of the Phoenix .

It's nice to see more Phoenix posts , pipe sales for them are moving right allong , I wish I had time at work to finish my R&D work on the rest of the goodies I have .

Rick Ritter

Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 AM

so i take it his trotal cable is to loose???

Quick Reply: Help! 2005 Polaris Phoenix running erratically, $20 to someone who helps me succesfully ;)