Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil injection questions, problems. Xplorer 400L

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil injection questions, problems. Xplorer 400L

Hello,
i'm looking for information on the oil injection pump on a 98 Xplorer 400L. the atv seems to be receiving to much oil no matter where i set it, i can set it right on the mark or i've also set it on both sides of the mark. It seems that no matter where i set, it does not change the flow. It is smoking quite a bit and even if i manually hold the pump wide open when idling, it doesn't smoke any worse. Is it possible for the pump to be stuck in the full open position ?, everything looks fine with the pump. It is very clean inside of the housing and the spring and cable is working fine, looking for maybe some advice or things to try.
Late last summer i rebuilt the top end, i sent the cylinder and head to Rick Ritter and it was bored along with a Wiseco piston, and also did a head swap. While waiting for my parts i replaced the crank seals along with the waterpump seals because the atv sat for quite awhile. It has not been ridden hard sense rebuild and i've done 3 compression tests and all have been the same at 148 psi. Carb is at stock settings and i have a factory pipe, K+N filter. Runs very good and idles perfect but like i said it smokes quite a bit. The spark plug is oily black but does not foul, also the plug cleans up alot after a short ride. It also smokes much much more when cold, thick blue smoke[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. At any rate any info or recommendations would be apprecipated.

Gary

Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wouldnt think the pump could get stuck open if the spring is pushing it back when throttle is released. does it use alot of oil out of the tank. i would thing you should get cose to 3 tankss of gas to 1 tank of oil. i know on our t blazer we used synthic 2 stroke and it cuts down alot on the smoking and the smell. the exhaust pipe would be all oily as well if it was using alot.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've ran about 2 tanks of gas sense rebuild and the oil tank is down about 2", i'm using the standard Polaris synthic blend 2 stroke oil. Not really sure on the amount of oil in pipe, doesn't seem to be excessive

Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

by the sounds, your not going thru that much oil if its only dropped that much in 2 tanks. did you premix w/ the first tank or 2 w/ the rebuild? my friend use to have a 400 and his smokes some but normal 2 stroke i beleave. maybe its the rings setting in. hard to say but w/ the amount you went thru it doesnt seem like its using more them normal good luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I premixed the first tank at about 40 to1, thanks for the help

Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looking for maybe some more advice or things to try, also would 2 tanks of gas be enough to seat the rings completely ?. I have not really rode at high rpm yet and maybe it's just time to let her rip [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you have enough time on it to give her hell. guess im trying to figue out why the plug cleans right up and doesnt stay oily if its using too much oil. sorry cant help more.