Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

purple ice? what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purple ice? what do you think?

i dont want to change out my coolant, i just want to be able to add a little something in there with it.thanks- PB500
I would just put a little Redline in it and call it good.

Most of these magic elixers are just surfactants. Do they work? Yes, they will drop the temp a few degrees. Will they work on a clogged radiator? No they won't. You have to clean the radiator. The wild claims of dropping the temp 30 degrees are just that, wild claims. We have tried a lot of them in race engines and they do help a "little".

Some of these elixers don't do anything in bringing the temp down. They just bring the boiling point up so high, they will never boil. This is not a good deal if you don't have a temp gauge on your engine. The temp could be up to 260 and you would never know it. At least with water/anti you would know.

Just be careful on what you put in the coolant system.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

doc, (We have tried a lot of them in race engines and they do help a "little".) have you guys ever tried a product called radiator relief? its another one that says it drops 30 degrees. just wondering thanks.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

have you guys ever tried a product called radiator relief? its another one that says it drops 30 degrees. just wondering thanks.
No we haven't. Tried Redline, and a couple of others. I don't remember the others. One smelled terrible and looked like rotten milk!!! To be real honest, I don't know if it did a danm thing? We had the front end of the car real closed up to get some speed out of the car. The thing over heated when we ran straight water and overheated when we ran the surfactants in it. Maybe not as bad? I just can't say? We overheated and that's all I needed to know.
To solve the problem we cut the grill open some more and never looked back. After we opened the grill we never overheated again so we never messed with the stuff anymore. The amazing part of this was the the hole was only about 8"x 8". I would not have guessed that, that little of an air duct could make the difference.

The thing I don't get is all quad engines run thermostats and I don't know of any that run a real temp gauge. To run a real test you would have to put a real good full sweep gauge on the quad and and overrun the thermostat by 30 degrees. That would be around 210 to 220 depending on the stat. Then you would have to put this stuff in the quad and run it again. If the temp stayed down to 180 or 190 and never overran the stat then I would say the stuff really worked. I haven't found of anything that would do that. Believe me, if I did, I would be running it in our race car program. If others would know of something that would do that, I would never see race cars overheat on the track. If there is something on the market that will do this, other car owners haven't found it yet either. Some have more money than Bill Gates (well, not really) and their cars overheat too.

Bottom line is, if your engine is stock and is overheating, you have a problem somewhere. That problem could be as simple as a clogged radiator (most likely it is) or as bad as a head gasket.Either way, your going to have to fix the problem.

My 2 cents and proabably not even worth half that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Stendori,

I KNOW you can do the divisional math---you know if 12 ozs is for 12 qts. then ____ozs. is for 2 qts-- Adjust accordingly..........lol.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally posted by: xler8ion
Hey Stendori,

I KNOW you can do the divisional math---you know if 12 ozs is for 12 qts. then ____ozs. is for 2 qts-- Adjust accordingly..........lol.
yea that would be easy to figue out now wouldnt it. but try reading thier page and watch the demo on my post i put up. im not ver y impressed w/ their product if what their demo is saying. just my own opinion. yea , yea, i know, keep it to my self right. lol. heres a good question for you all. i was always told that running straight water wasnt nearly as good as running mixed 50/50 anti-and water. and running straight antfreeze wont work as good as the mix. i know this is a proven fact in the freezing point(meaning that the mix is the best) but what about the heat range. which do you think is better water, mixed, or straight abtifeeze.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

heres a good question for you all. i was always told that running straight water wasnt nearly as good as running mixed 50/50 anti-and water. and running straight antfreeze wont work as good as the mix.
Here is the way it goes. What most people don't know is, straight water will transfer more heat than any mix of antifreeze. BUT it will also boil at a lower temp than an anti/water mix. What most people do in the racing game is run a high pressure cap. That way they can transfer the most heat and also get the boiling point WAY up and not boil over during a hot period of the race.
To get the most out of the system we run a surfactant with straight water. The surfactant will get more contact area for the water to come in contact with. The more contact area, the more heat it will scuff off. This is for a race car during the summer. You can't do this during the winter because the surfactant will not prevent freezing.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

yea that is what the video says also which makes sence for race applications. now in the real world of our atv's and all around temp range thru out the year, i dont most of us would want to run straight water/ what ever coolant additive and then change for winter. so maybe its just as good to deal w/ our heat issues and a clean radiator. dont know the correct answer but very useful infomation to know.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

I know that we are all talking about coolant and such but as I mentioned earlier the best thing that I have found is Two2Cool. http://www.two2cool.com/index.html

You may think that it is snake oil but it has worked for me. After all, if you do not create the heat in the engine to start with, then you do not need better coolant.