Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

waterwetter vs. supercool waterwetter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default waterwetter vs. supercool waterwetter

has any one used this product or visted the site? redline page/demo video seems like if you add this to antifreeze it really doesnt help that much.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd agree, I bought into the hype & purchased 3 bottles. 2 bottles in my 355 V-8 & 1/2 bottle each for the quads. My 4 core radiator was having trouble keeping the stout mouse cool, so I thought what the heck. No, change.

Same story with the quads. The temp guage MAYBE, MAYBE, rises & falls a slight bit slower than it used to on the Scrambler 500, but VERY slightly if at all.

IMHO, run a good 60/40 or 50/50 mix of aluminum safe anti-freeze & don't worry about it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

thats excellent info. i appaicate it thanks.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

The waterwetter does not lower the freezing temp if that's what you mean.

I know a couple of guys using it in thier 800 bombies; they clain it does help with the cooling when the rad begins to plug up with mud. I know from riding with them that they seem to be stopping less for overheating than before. Well, actually they have been stopped since last October due to freezing concerns. lol

I still believe the careful use for a good garden hose at the rad prevents most overheating issues.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I thought it allowed the coolant/engine to run hotter without boiling over. Say your rad was plugged up and you are already into the red on the temp light, you could keep driving without the rad boiling over for a limited amount of time. Water boils at 212 degrees, 60/40 mix boils at say 240-250 degrees and water wetter boils at 260-270. That is what I thought the advantage was.

Steve

Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you are doing more damage for the life of the engine if your rad. is plugged and this product just lets it run hotter then it supose to be. my idear of of a heat reducing coolant aide is to actually make the machine run cooler in all condtions, not just when the rad. is beginning to plug. as far freezing goes, if you read their specs it says right in there that it will will freeze at 32 f degrees. also if you add their product to antifreeze it really doesnt do that much over just straight antifreeze inthere test. i guess bottom line(for me anyways) i would stay away from using thier product in cold climates such as mine and if you did use thier product, its recommened that it be used w/ straight water and not antifreeze. however i read a testing report that a guy running honda civics and says(by his test results) that radiator relief(by dei co.) droped his running temp on average of 25.4 degrees. this is mixed w/ antifreeze.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been using it and I have a temp gauge. I use it on my 400 two stroke with the radiator fan removed.

it works, in the winter i have to add antifreeze back to the mix to keep it from running too cool. ive run it 50/50 coolant mix. Ive run straight water, 50/50 and water wetter, and water and water wetter only. each time theres a distinct drop in operating temps. it will still go to overheat if im pushing the motor hard under loan and don;t have air flowing across the radiator.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

conig, glad to hear it works for you. It sure didn't do squat for me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

From the post topic sten I do not believe redline makes two products ie waterwetter and supercool waterwetter if that was the indication in the topic. It is merely a prompt to "supercool with waterwetter". Back to the point, what we are talking about is those conditions where the cooling system is marginally inadequate for the application, not using it as a routine since if the cooling system will maintain the acceptable window of temperature after thermostat opening it is unnecessary. Now the variable in our quads is the clogging factor of the radiators and such use provides some insurance that the cooling system is going to be able tolerate a reduction in cooling efficiency TO SOME EXTENT. As I posted on the other topic, I saw a reduction of @15 degrees in my Boss 302 modified car from a high of 218 down to 203 in fairly severe summer heat idling in traffic etc. with water wetter. I would not expect to see this reduction in our quad application but I do not know. But this is more of a stopgap or mere marginal insurance when the cooling system is not sufficient when it is operating properly. I see no advantage in our application to increasing the boiling point tremendously as engine damage will occur at the levels indicated and I would not want to risk such if possible and the cooling system is obviously compromised at that point. Racing app yeah I can see the advantage. For our application any of these products are going to 1) Provide some slight help in the cooling system tolerating a reduction in cooling efficiency until the cause can be remedied and 2) offer slightly more efficient heat transfer throughout the range of temps which will not be noticed specifically until extreme conditions push the temp past the acceptable window. I suppose one could see the reduction in the fan not coming on as soon or as long etc. but these are usually not reproducable unless you have controlled conditions and document all the variables. Whew that blew my .02 plus about .50 I am overheating.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

ok,this is my last say or statement (yea i know about time right) basicly for me(and i mean for my purposes) i was looking for 2 differnt appilcations of one one these products(not just redline waterwetter). 1. is (most importantly) is for my motorcycle, and 2. for my 800. we all know(at least the guys who owns these) that the 800's and i beleave the 7's as well run alot hotter the the singles ie. 500,450, and so on. i have seen wear folks have jetcoated the headed pipe to help transfer heat away from engine and out the exhaust, so i figured these so calld coolant products would be of some sort of help as well. we all realize that no magic product will help much w/ a plugged radiator. what i am looking for is a product for fo my bike as it runs extremly hot(its the nature of the beast for those who doesnt know these bikes) and have done extensive reading of post of other forums specificly for this bike, and these guys are experts in their field. now they have stated w/ test results that in deed a few of these products do work well when they are mixed w/ pure water. hence my problem being in a cold climate and refusing to change back in forth. im beginning to beleave that my search is really non existent for a real practical use on our wheelers as you have stated. however i do beleave this spring i will be buying the product i researched and contacted the mfg. and give them a try. i do have a temp gauge so i should be able to tell if it works. thanks for all the replys and opinions.

Quick Reply: waterwetter vs. supercool waterwetter