Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris magnum 425cc questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 01:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default polaris magnum 425cc questions

95 polaris magnum 425cc 4x4 I'm having problems with the carburator.when the quad runs hot it bogs and loses power, and the plug is black. i adjusted the needle(leaned it out), cleaned out the carb, replaced plug, did a valve adjustment, checked muffler(wasn't plugged at all),checked choke to see if it wasn't returning(choke is fine). the quad still continues to run the same after all of this. could it be the jetting in the carb? or could it be something other than the carb causing it to run like this? any ideas?

Old 03-09-2007 | 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

Im having a similar problem with mine , But i think my bogging is coming from a exhaust leak. It looks like your new to the forum like i am so im sure one of these guys can give you some helpful advice. Good Luck.

Old 03-09-2007 | 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 97 and it use to vaporlock when it got hot, it would sputter and quit, you had to sit for 5 or 10 minites and it would run again, my 700 has done it too. I wrapped the fuel lines from the tank to the carb with silver heat tape from home depo, put half a can of water wetter in each machine and havent had any problems since. If it does it alot you should look at your cam, they had some bad ones.

Old 03-12-2007 | 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

tbolt, see if you have a precleaner on the air cleaner on at the intake hole on the air box neck, by the gas tank. Had the same problem went through it all like you. Or better yet, at the hole on the rubber inyake neck squeeze it about half way closed to retrict the air, then rev it up see what happens. You might need the precleaner that goes on that rubber neck.

Old 03-12-2007 | 08:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

seems like i read somewhere a while ago about the needles wearing out and making them run rich. not sure though.

Old 03-12-2007 | 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Ahh finally something I know a bit about!

The older 425 Mags had a vibration problem, and the carb would vibrate pretty good. This causes the main jet needle to bounce around inside its sleeve and the end of the needle wears out. Causing too much fuel to enter.

There is a bracket available to reduce/eliminate the carb from vibrating, and of course the needle will need to be replaced.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2007 | 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

in my experiences working at a polaris dealer I found after around 700 to 1000 hours the needle jet and the jet neddle wear out. but cheek the simple things first, 1. check to make sure you air cleaner is not stopped up pull the air filter off and run it and see how it does (not to long though) 2. check and make sure the rubber boot connecting your carb to the motor dont have a split or a hole in it, also make sure the bolts attaching the boot to the motor are tight, seen this a few times. I know you said you checked it but to be sure to double check the choke. this also was common problem. After all the basics check out then go to the carb. be sure the carb is adjusted properly (air fuel mixture adjusting screw). if thats all ok get you a carb kit. And when you pull it apart make sure the diaphram on the top where your jet needle is, is not cracked or has a hole. hope this will be some help to you.

Old 03-16-2007 | 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

another problem here is that polaris doesn't offer a caburetor kit for the 425. I'm having the same problem already replaced needle ans seat and it helped alot but still not running great. Keep in touch with what finally cures the problem.
GH

Old 03-16-2007 | 07:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally posted by: ghhorns
another problem here is that polaris doesn't offer a caburetor kit for the 425. I'm having the same problem already replaced needle ans seat and it helped alot but still not running great. Keep in touch with what finally cures the problem.
GH
are you refering to the jet needle or the float needle you replaced? the jet needle is the one that wears out i do beleave.

Old 03-16-2007 | 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

The carb is the same as the older 500's, 2000 and older.

Quick Reply: polaris magnum 425cc questions