Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler 2stroke 400 compete with a 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scrambler 2stroke 400 compete with a 400ex?

Originally posted by: Yamota
Originally posted by: tbsleeper
2 strokes do not put out twice the power of a 4stroke...they make double the hp in some cases but not double the power..why doesnt my traiblazer run witha predator then????
why do 125cc 2-strokes race against 250cc 4-strokes? and 250cc 2-strokes race against 450cc 4-strokes... freakin morons I swear... and yes, 2-strokes put out twice the power of a 4-stroke. If you knew how the two engines worked maybe you would understand why... and I wasn't talking about weak little girly automatic trailblazers.
Dont be so fast as to call the Trailblazer "weak or girlly" Our last modded 250 TB would and still can eat 300EXs and 350 Warriors all day long.I sold it to a buddy that can beat my sons 350 Warrior(he hates getting beat by his old quad but he can shift gears)

Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 800 pound 400L will not beat my raptor but I have had MANY 350cc Banshees and even 250cc quads (older hondas) hand me my *** all day long... you guys are trying to compare fat girls to skinny girls... I'm trying to talk about two racing/sport quads. get real, or learn about engines... 2-strokes combust every second stroke, four strokes combust every fourth stroke, you do the math and tell me why 4-strokes cant hang with 2-strokes... pretty simple stuff here people...

Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

here is some basic knowledge about two-strokes that many of you don't seem to have knowledge of... so lets start with the basics shall we...

Two-stroke Basics

You find two-stroke engines in such devices as chain saws and jet skis because two-stroke engines have three important advantages over four-stroke engines:

Two-stroke engines do not have valves, which simplifies their construction and lowers their weight.
Two-stroke engines fire once every revolution, while four-stroke engines fire once every other revolution. This gives two-stroke engines a significant power boost.
Two-stroke engines can work in any orientation, which can be important in something like a chainsaw. A standard four-stroke engine may have problems with oil flow unless it is upright, and solving this problem can add complexity to the engine.
Horsepower
For a complete explanation of what horsepower is and what it means to performance, check out How Horsepower Works.

These advantages make two-stroke engines lighter, simpler and less expensive to manufacture. Two-stroke engines also have the potential to pack about twice the power into the same space because there are twice as many power strokes per revolution. The combination of light weight and twice the power gives two-stroke engines a great power-to-weight ratio compared to many four-stroke engine designs.
You don't normally see two-stroke engines in cars, however. That's because two-stroke engines have a couple of significant disadvantages that will make more sense once we look at how it operates.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The rule of thumb is that a 2 stroke will have about twice the amount of power of a 4 stroke but in actuality in hP they are about the same. The big difference like you said is the stroke. A 2 stroke is higher revving and produces power twice as fast but a 4 stroke will always have more available torque in all rpm ranges. If you put a 2 stroke and 4 stroke in a pulling contest the 4 stroke will win. 2 strokes dont build power till its upper rpm range while a 4 stroke builds power right off throttle. 2 strokes are much quicker but in reality it builds about the same hp. A stock Banshee puts out about 40 hp. A stock 450r is about 42hp. A stock pred500 is 43hp.

Dont get me wrong I love 2 strokes. I rode a Banshee for about 8 yrs, a highly moded 250tb that would smoke piped 400ex's, my son rides a 90cc 2 stroke that kicks my nephews 150cc 4 stroke a$$, and my boat is a 2 stroke v6. But when you look ar actual dyno results they are about equal in hp and the 4 stroke has more torque.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

hey i got a question for you guys? how fast is a scrambler 400 with a top end pipe and clutch kit? does it do alot of help on the top end?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamota
my 800 pound 400L will not beat my raptor but I have had MANY 350cc Banshees and even 250cc quads (older hondas) hand me my *** all day long... you guys are trying to compare fat girls to skinny girls... I'm trying to talk about two racing/sport quads. get real, or learn about engines... 2-strokes combust every second stroke, four strokes combust every fourth stroke, you do the math and tell me why 4-strokes cant hang with 2-strokes... pretty simple stuff here people...
Well Mr.Yamota, I've done a little engine work myself. The 400L comment came on your general statement, and then the outburst. Settle down and learn to get along. Thankyou again 2manytoys for putting things the way they should be said.
Doc

Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Scrambler00
hey i got a question for you guys? how fast is a scrambler 400 with a top end pipe and clutch kit? does it do alot of help on the top end?

A 2x4 piped and clutched 400 Scrambler (the one I had) would run in the 70mph range right even with the 660R piped Raptor that I was racing at Badlands.
A 4x4 400 is limited by the gear ratio to about 65-68 but will get there in a flash.
I have seen 400s hit over 80

Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

so if i wanna go really fast on my 4x4 i have to change the gearing right? would i have to get bigger sprockets? thanks, im just waiting on some money than I'll do some stuff to mine

Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Isn't that 4x4 scrambler chain rear, and shaft front? I don't know if you can change your gear ratio. You might be limited to taller tires and or higher rpm's at full shift out. Doc

Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

oh ya i forgot about that, ftwflh would know. so would i have to get all 4 tires in a taller size or just the rear? also how do u get alot more RPMs out of the motor other than the obvious? thanks guys

Quick Reply: scrambler 2stroke 400 compete with a 400ex?