Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'05 Sportsman 400 Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Sportsman 400 Charging System

Hi all, I was hoping someone may be able to help me understand how the Polaris charging systems work. Reason for me asking is my quad has been sitting for about 4 months (battery connected) and I recently went to start it and all I heard was a "tapping sound". I figured it was the battery (the battery indicator was flashing on the console) so I tried pull starting it. After a couple of pulls it started but the motor would quickly die. After repeating this a dozen times (tired arm) I hooked up a portable battery jumper up to it. I turned the key and it started right up. I let it run for about a minute then I disconnected my jumper (while running) and noticed the rear running lights and the console LCD started "flickering" then the engine died. I tried turning the key and the same "tapping" sound occurred. I repeated the portable jumper process and it started but I received the same results after disconnecting it. I guess my question is does the ATV not charge the battery when it is running? Also, does anyone recommend an AGM charger? My ATV has about 12 hours on it.

I apologize for the long post.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked my battery and its reading 10.62 Volts. I assume its legally dead [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Why is it though when I jump the battery and get the ATV running the ATV won't stay running? My assumption would be that once I get it running, the magnets on the flywheel will charge the battery and charging system?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would say the battert is junk. did it freeze over the winter or have an empty cell? i dont know if the charging system is strong enough to over come a bad batery or not. take it out and charge it fully then reinstall and check the voltage. it should be 13 plus volts if its charging correctly. it stalls out because of lack of enough volts. i wouldnt keep trying to get it running that way or you might damage the speedo from lack of juice. its pretty splinney.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes put the battery on a complete charge first....Then check the voltage after the charger is taken off.

You said after jump starting the quad it will stall after the cables were removed?
This is simple............The quad unlike a car/truck battery will not be enough to run the quad with the battery that low!!!..........The quad would need to run for at least 1/2 hour(app) to notice the change in the change...That's with a good battery that is just discharged. I would charge the battery first and go from there!!!!...Caper.........

Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the typo..."Notice a change in the charge"...........Caper..
Not change in the change...LOL..LOL..

Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Yea, what stendori said. Most people need a new battery ever 2 years. I use a home brewed automatic charger on mine. My 02 400 has the original battery.

stendori, you are almost at 3,000 post, you need to get a life. Can't you ride up there in the winter.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by: Freedom500
Yea, what stendori said. Most people need a new battery ever 2 years. I use a home brewed automatic charger on mine. My 02 400 has the original battery.

stendori, you are almost at 3,000 post, you need to get a life. Can't you ride up there in the winter.
im not too sure, but i think i just got insulted. what do you guys think????????????

Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: stendori
Originally posted by: Freedom500

im not too sure, but i think i just got insulted. what do you guys think????????????
i think you did too..you can still ride alot and help people out on here..you cant ride 24/7 although that would be nice

Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

No insult intended stendori, just an observation. The wife says I spend to much time on here now and I only have 49 post.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

i think the light comes on and quad dies because the gauge is reading too much voltage. the new ones shut off when too much voltage is ran through the ecm so the speedo doesn't go out like on 99 through some 02 model sportsmans.

Quick Reply: '05 Sportsman 400 Charging System