Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI versus 500 H.O. carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI versus 500 H.O. carb

Alright everyone I need your help. I know this request may attract alot of Polaris kool-aid drinkers and I guess that would be alright too. I need to decide between a 2006 Sportsman 500 H.O. and a 2007 500 EFI. I have currently located a new 500 H.O. for $5800 total "Out The Door", with EBS installed (that's all fees, taxes, licsensing, the whole shabang). Yes I am sure some of you out there will respond with "that's really not that great I bought mine for $4700 OTD", which is fine but as I have researched pricing that is the best price I can find anywhere within 600 miles of Mesa, AZ. The 2007 500 EFI is about $1200 more with EBS installed. Unfortunately money is an issue!
Ok money aside, what I really want to know is the differences between the two. I am aware of the "cold start, and elevation change" benefits of the EFI, however have no real experience with that. Here in AZ there are many rides that can start at 2,500 feet and go up to 7,000 feet. Also many other rides that can start at 6,000 feet and go up to 10,000 feet.
What about performance...? Hopefully someone out there has REAL hands-on experience riding both of these machines. I have ridden both but my knowledge is only that of "riding down the lane and back", hopefully some of you have had significant time "in the saddle" and can answer me about throttle response, quickness... etc.. Overall power between the two and top speed. Yes I know that a Sportsman is not a Scrambler, but every now and then it's fun to see what it will do.
Any information any of you might have that can help me in my decision is greatly appreciated. Do the differences in performance/ benefits justify the extra cost. And what the hell, if any of you know where I can get the new 2007 500 Stealth LE for Less than $8000 (out the door) I might refinance the house and sell my dog to get it! Thank You.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

The biggest difference is gas milage. EFI models can go about 20 or so miles farther on a tank of gas. Is either a deluxe model with ADC? I would get a carbed deluxe model if I could. But to me, 1200 is not enough for just EFI.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have both of them, other than starting there is no noticeable difference in the operation. When hot, the carb starts faster than the EFI. Cold the EFI RULES !!! Turn the key and walk away and let it warm up.

I couldn't say which one is faster, They both indicate about 55MPH flat out on dirt. I really haven't noticed a huge difference in gas mileage, it makes sense that the EFI will use less, it seems leaner when warmed up. Topping the gas up when riding together is about the same amount, I think rider throttle style and weight has more to do with it.

The operation at varying altitude could be a huge plus for the EFI, we don't vary more than a few hundred feet so I can't address how big a deal that will be for you.

Maintenance, the carb is simple to fix, however if you let it stand with gas in it over the winter, there's a good chance you'll find out how to clean it out. The EFI holds liquid under pressure so it can't evaporate and varnish things up, but if it does get screwed up, bing your BIG credit card to the dealer.

For $1200, I'd get the carb and jet it for your average altitude/temp. If you had the extra bucks, get an EFI with ADC.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't have much elevation. Maybe 6000 feet at most if I go up Mt. Washington in the fall. I'd say the EFI is smoother from riding both the ATP 500HO and the X2 500EFI. Maybe a little faster than the carb in races with my son I edge him out by a few lengths in a quarter mile sprint. I outweigh him by at least 150lbs. Both have good low end grunt. And again, EFI rules when starting in the cold weather up our way. It also gets about 2-3 miles per gallon better gas mileage when we have taken the same trails together. Hope this helps you decide. My opinion is if you can swing it go with the EFI. You won't have to worry about rejetting.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

I didnt know Polaris made Kool Aid.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

To me the throttle response is quicker on the EFI vs the carb model. Just my .02 cents.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am new to the Polaris world, but is this EFI using port fuel injection or a throttle body injection system?
the port fuel injection would have an injector right next to the intake valve, where the throttle body has a fuel injection unit that replaces the carb.

Is it a "closed loop" system that has an o2 sensor in the exhaust pipe?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

Im up in Colorado we have a 500 Scrambler and last year got an 06 500 Sportsman carb I had the same ?'s your asking we can ride from 5000 ft to 11000 feet with no problems with the carbs sure ya lose some power with the carbs but you will also with the EFI maybye not as much but its not that noticable the reason I went with the carb is money also but I know carbs I dont know EFI a carb is simple an EFI is take it to the dealer for diagnostics I'll get an EFI some day but I wanted Polaris to get a few years of it under there belt either way there great machines also you will love the EBS in the mtn's Monday I went and picked up an 07 450 for the wife (made the mistake of letting her ride mine she was on a 94 trailboss)

Old 03-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I have a ton of experience with the 500 carb and efi. I have read the posts above and agree with most that the only diff will be no jetting on efi, cold starts easier on efi, and slightly better throttle response on efi. If you were blidfolded and road them back to back you wouldn't notice a power difference. Only thing I could add is the technical differences. The 06 500ho came in either carb or efi. The 05 carbed model had the old style primary, 25" 489 tires, and the ebs was optional. The 06 efi had the newer style "800" primary, 26" PXT tires, and ebs was standard. The 07 500 only comes in efi, however, you have the standard and the deluxe model. The standard doesn't have ebs, doesn't have the rear work lights, has the plain steel wheels as on the 06 500's, doesn't have the winch, or doesn't have the rear rack ext. The 07 500 deluxe has everything I mentioned the standard doesn't have with the addition of ADC, which is basically 4 wheel ebs, and aluminum wheels. So, if I were looking at an 06 500 carbed vs an 07 500efi standard for $1200 more, I'd take the 500 carbed as the only diff is efi and rear work lights. If it is an 06 carbed or efi vs an 07 deluxe for $1200 diff then I definetely go with the deluxe. Oh, the 07 deluxe will also have the newer style primary and the team secondary. Either way you go a Heel Clicker clucth kit is an awesome add on for the 500 sportsman. All the 500 sportmans tend to have a high rpm engagement. Only solution is the HC kit.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Range Rover

My 05 carb version came with PXT's and rear work light and rear rack extention and EBS. I love the PXT's. One of the best all around stock tires you can get. The Deluxe version also comes with aluminum wheels and a Polaris winch to go the the ADC sytem.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI versus 500 H.O. carb