Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'05 Scrammy taking on water, but not like what I've read about on here....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Scrammy taking on water, but not like what I've read about on here....

Ok, I had this all typed up and lost it, so I will try to retouch everything I had said..I hate when that happens...

Ok...so my buddy has an '05 Scrammy that takes water on into the airbox. The problem started immediately when he got the machine. The very 1st water puddle we hit it happened. The water was MAYBE 4" deep. He hit it and immediately the maching started spitting and sputtering and died. We pulled the air box lid off and found the gasket to be 1/2 in the box and 1/2 in the lid. We figured that was the problem. Got a new gasket from the dealer and put it in, made sure all was well, and same problem. Pulled off lid, gasket was were it should be, but water all in the box, filter soaked. Ok...so move to a Uni filter with outterwear. SAME PROBLEM. The drain tube plug is in, no other apparent way water is coming in is through the snorkel. But, this just doesn't seem right with the shallow water it happens in. If we were talking tire deep water or something like that, sure, but not a couple of inches deep. So, as you can imagine, he can't go through much sloppy mud with water on top or this happens. If he creeps through, no problem. but, forget about going at any speed. Well, that is unacceptable. My concern with this is that a dealer has offered me a good deal on an '06. $5300, what do you think? Good deal? I pick it up Sat. should I decide I want it. The thing is, I don't want it if this is part of the natural behavior with the Scrambler.

Now, I tell you my theory on the problem. There is a piece of foam below the gas tank that seems to somewhat separate the snorkel from the lower 1/2 of the quad. I've noticed when this happens the foam is soaked. My thoughts are the foam is doing 2 things. 1, not allowing the water to just fall back down when it splashed up. Perhaps it pools there for a moment, long enough for the suction from the snorkel to pick the water up and into the air box. Or, the foam is so saturated with water the suction is sucking right out of it into the air box. The issue I'm having is that we don't have time to test my theory by Sat. So, I'm hoping others here know what I'm talking about, or tell me what is truly wrong that I'm missing. This is a big issue to me all the sudden as I'm looking to pick up a Scrammy myself on Sat.

The problem doesn't seem to be electrical and it's not water into the clutch housing, it just seems to be all about water in the air box. I can't imagine this is typical, everyone would be raising cain if it were.

Anyone have anythoughts on this? I really want that Scrammy, but I'm thinking 3 times on it due to this problem.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default '05 Scrammy taking on water, but not like what I've read about on here....

Sounds like it's just happening to his quad. My nephew has had his Scrammy going down creekd in about 2 feet of water, and never had that problem.

How much water are you finding?

Also, the sputtering may be the plug getting wet. Some dielectric grease around the boot may fix that.

BTW, spring goes in the mail today, hopefully. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Awesome, Scooter! Thanks!

The airbox isn't filled, but definitely water in there. The filter where the snorkel dumps into the box is soaked. He gets it to clear up after a few min by sitting in neutral revving it up.

He can go through water that's deep, but only as long as he's going slow...creeping. Get up any speed and that's all she wrote.

I suppose it could be an electrical problem, too.... We'll check that.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Just looked at a diagram of the airbox. Couple of places to look. Where inlet to the carb is, there is a small tube next to that. See if that has any cracks or anything. Also on the intake to the lid, look to see if it is sealed well. From the looks of the diagram, it's screwed on. Since it's plastic, always a chance it may have warped.

Here's where I looked.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the link. You know, I don't know if we ever investigated anything regarding that tube. There actually seems to be one on each side. I don't even remember seeing them....I'm sure I did, but not ringing a bell.

I'll double check the snorkel tube to make sure all is well there. I know there is a gasket between the tube and the box itself as well.