Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what do i need to beat a predator please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need to beat a predator please!

i have a 99 scrambler 400 4x4 what kind of chance from a stop do i have against an 03 pred....now heres the clincher what do i need to buy to be reliable and slightly faster then this thing....he is my rival and thinks his pred is the greatest!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

A Terminator [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A jet engine..........

No, but seriously.........to be reliable, you aren't going to get faster than the pred......and not spend a lot of money and time. And, he can do a few basic mods, and be faster again.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To give him a run you will need to get a good topend pipe,clutch kit,bump up the compresion,A good port job,lighten the flywheel.Then you should beat almost anything in a drag race if not step up to a race pipe and race porting and add some alcohol.
In other words you can go as fast as anything on your 400 as long as you got the $$$$$$$$

Old 04-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dont let people think you cant beat a pred with some mods. The 400 has alot of power but it just needs to be released. You can get 96+ hp out from these motors. If you want it done you have to do it right. Not just bolt on mods. Like ftwflh a good pipe, clutch kit, porting, lightened flywheel, 38mm carb, different reeds will get you there. The pipe and porting is the biggest power increase while the lightened flywheel gives you awsome throttle response and the rest just makes everything else work better. I have seen the HPD racemod smoke just about everything that cam up against it. ANd I mean Banshee drag bikes, quadzillas, modded 250r's etc... They can be very lethal but it depends on how deep your pockets are. You can spend about 1200-1500 and you will be able to beat preds all day long. Also look at the AAEN web site for the stage 4 kit.

aaenperformance.com
hpd-inc.com
hotseatperformance.com
rittercycle.com

Old 04-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

race on loose gravel

Old 04-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The point still stands........you can spend a that 1500........and then the pred can spend that much and still beat you........

Not to mention the obvious fact, that the pred can be somewhat fast/built.......and still be worthy in triails, mx, xc........You won't have to loose all of you suspension,etc....just to win. Preds are going real cheap.....even somewhat modded ones, for about $2500.......I'd look into that option.

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with 2manytoys point.I personally seen a HPD race mod 400 beat everything that lined up with him at ST.Joe.I'm talking about built Banshees,YFZ450's,etc.I would think exhaust,clutching,maybe carb should put you ahead of the pred,especially through 300-400ft.My sister-in-law has HPD trail pipe,different primary spring,lectron carb with kn filter and it runs well.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree......but......that 400 is pretty much worthless other than drag racing......to beat a mildly(piped, carb, intake) pred......

Oh, and go to www.nicholascycle.com........there are some preds in there.......that will beat most 400's

Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

If all you want to do is beat a Predator in a drag race then the stage 1 kit from ritter cycle will do that(< $500). At least mine beat my friends a few months ago. I also raced a Honda 450R that was piped and jetted and lost by a length or two. Really, really surprised me.

It may have just been the riders but that was my results. The 450 was pretty much even with me up to 35-40 mph and then he started pulling away. I am completing the mods in my sig now and I am expecting to be well pleased. I will have a little over $2500 including the mods in a good 60hr 4X4 quad.

Quick Reply: what do i need to beat a predator please!