Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Honest Replys about Polaris please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007 | 11:46 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Honest Replys about Polaris please

In the past, say over 5 years ago, polaris seemed to have problems with reliability. However, I know a some people who have newer ones and haven't had any problems at all with theirs. I have decided to purchase a new sportsman 800 X2 deluex, but on my thread on the utilitys section some people are saying problems with the reliability. I just don't see that so tell me how yours is holding up. I haven't seen too many over the last 4 or 5 years with problems, but I am not talking about huge lifted machine. It doesn't matter what machine you own, if you life it and put 28" or better tires, you will probably have problems. I plan on only adding 26" ITP 589's and nothing more since it is a deluex model and comes with the nice rims and tires, etc.

So, tell me how many miles you have and how it has held up. Also, I am planning on buying the 5 year extenede warrenty so I will be covered. Remember, this sp 800 X2 delues will mostly be trail riding and work around the property, not a deep mud bogger. That will be my kawie 750 bf after highlifter converts it. Honest opinions and please if you don't like polaris or any other manufacture, don't reply rudely, just honest opinions.

Old 04-10-2007 | 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I have 850 miles and 90 or so hours and my popo has never let me down! I ride in some very extreme rocky terrain here in the northeast usually at or near full throttle!! I have had it buried in mud; frozen solid in slush, in -0 degree temps and regularly race a dozen or so yahoo friends and much much more!!!! Yet it starts, runs and rides like new!! I am proud to own this big heavy powerful American machine!!!

I had one sputtering issue because I pinched the vent line when reinstalling the plastic and some minor belt slippage because I put 27" tires on it (the PXT's that came on it only lasted 80 miles and had 40 or more plugs!). I also had to replace some plastic because a drunken oak tree jumped right out in front of me! Only I am to blame...

Although many of my friends have grizzly 660 and 700's, two good friends have Sportsman 800's with similar miles/hours. One 800 has been flawless and the other not so much. It has had a cracked frame, some charging issues, header pipe heat, blew up a belt and a few other minor issues all of which were covered under the three-year promotional warranty!! (I'm sure some of these issues are directly related to the bad habit we had for a while of hitting each other at high speed - we stopped doing that!)

I also like the stock storage but love all the optional Polaris accessories that just clip right on and are made just for the bike. They look/fit good and are well built.

I should also add that I am a maintenance freak. I clean and completely go over the machine after EVERY ride. I change major fluids every few rides, check for loose or parts and grease the hell out of it!

I have no regrets but lots of fun![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

we have had my 2002 Scrambler X LE since 2001, and it has been operating at full throttle ever since. It was the fastest thing around until my buddies bought an '05 YFZ and an '04 Z400. I still rode it fore another year, MXing and all with those guys until I had the cash to buy a predator. This scrambler is simply indestructable. We have all beat the crap out of it and the only thing i've ever replaced was chains on about an anual basis when riding in the sand a lot, and front sprockets with the chains. This machine is definately the most reliable in the group, and i ride with around 15 other guys and girls regularly. The Outlaw 525 has been OUTSTANDING as well so far, but it's only been a couple of months. Since i finally have a nice, reliable high performance quad (i.e. my Pred was junk) i'm restorring the scrambler now. New plasitc, wheels and tires, as well as a seat and maybe an exhaust. After as nice as it's been to me, i figure i owe it.

P.S. that thing's been 1000+ miles.

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

2006 Sportsman 500 EFI, 3200kms, never a problem. Starts every time. Key thing is to be sure to perform the required services.
Have fun.

Old 04-10-2007 | 12:30 PM
Range Rover

I've had my X2 500 Deluxe a month or so and only have 70 miles on it, but so far it's wonderful (with the exception of a non-working gas tank gauge). I think you'll love your X2. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2007 | 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

86 hours on my SP500, rode all last summer and fall, plowed snow all this winter, not a single problem.

Old 04-10-2007 | 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think that machine would be a good choice. I own a 06 SP500 and it's a great machine. No problems (knock on wood). The only issue I've had is the light pod and speedo cracked...when it got rolled! Those parts totaled about 400 bucks. I wish it was a little more solid in that location but this was operator error. I bought this last year after posting a similar thread. I rec'd lots of good information. I tend to think Polaris gets a bad rap because there is so many of them on the market.

Old 04-10-2007 | 05:47 PM
Range Rover

05 800 sportsman with 2500 miles, so far (knock on wood) not a single problem. I have been in deep mud & water & have been in some ATV pulls so far great. I too would like the x2 may become a legal issue here soon.

Old 04-10-2007 | 06:08 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the good replys. This is comfirming what I have believed all along that polaris is now making very good quads. As far as the 2 rider machines, here in Texas, if the machine is MADE that way from the manufacture, it can be ridden on the national forest.

Old 04-10-2007 | 06:12 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Two 2006 Sportsmans 450........Mine around 1000 miles and my wife's has about 850 miles....
Right now I am getting a replacement ECM/Rectifier module which is going to be covered by the dealer even though it was about 2 months over!!!!
We both like the smooth ride and features of the Polaris.......I was going to get a 450 SP for me and a Hawkeye for the wife.......But the price differance,size and motor...were enough to make me get two 450's
Only about 1100 dollars differance here in Canada!!!!!Back in June 2006.........
Glad I bought the two the same.........Now I can change parts to see what is wrong!!!...LOL..LOL...
That is pretty bad using a 2006 for a parts quad...LOL...LOL.....
Oh..... Polaris is known for the BEST lighting system out there right now!!!!
As per "Dirt Trax T.V." ............Caper.............

Quick Reply: Honest Replys about Polaris please