Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 losing coolant

Let her sit overnight and pull the engine drain plug in the morning. If waters getting in the engine oil then it will separate and drain out first.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

I am having the same problem, the coolant keeps disappearing. At first it was slow, but now the overflow bottle can empty in about a couple hours of driving. I checked the oil and it was milky, so I pulled the drain plug and coolant came out first then milky oil.
Where would the first place you'd check for coolant coming in?

Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

it may be too late last 700 I did that had that much coolant in the engine needed quite a bit of work, but it is probably the base gasket. I would take engine apart to see if it wore any engine components.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

Great!! Not what i wanted to hear.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it when I get some time.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having the same issue on a 03 600 twin, Just bought it used and it looked super clean, after running it twice I am noticing the coolant dropping in the overflow res. I dont have time to do teh work my self, any one have a ball park idea what a shop would charge to find and fix????

Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, lets me take a guess, because I've had all these problems with my 02 700. First I took the head gasket out on mine and I lost the base gasket. I replaced both of those and fixed it for awhile. About a year later the waterpump shaft seal and gasketsts went out and I got oil in my coolant and coolant in my oil. With the head gasket/base gasket I only ever had coolant in my oil. As for a cost to fix it, I'm sure your going to be pretty spendy. I think the parts alone are $100. Thats too bad somebody sold you that thing like that. I looked up parts online. Looks like $70.00 for head, base and valve cover gaskets. $100.00 for water pump impellar, o-ring, oil seal, and gasket.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have ran into similar issues and found the filler neck(where the rad cap is installed) is warped. Remove your cap and look at it. If it's egg shaped, get a new one. Is your oil "milky"

Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Schneider600

I am having the same issue on a 03 600 twin, Just bought it used and it looked super clean, after running it twice I am noticing the coolant dropping in the overflow res. I dont have time to do teh work my self, any one have a ball park idea what a shop would charge to find and fix????</end quote></div>

I fixed my water pump shaft seals and gaskets myself a few months ago and I'm still leaking. The dealer figures it must be the head gasket. I asked him how much parts were, Head Gasket - $44, Base Gasket - $30. And if I want him to do all the work, the total cost with labour is $385 CND or US, it's the same now, lol.
I might get him to do it as I don't feel like working on it right now as I'm too busy and fed up with the leak.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 94harley

I have ran into similar issues and found the filler neck(where the rad cap is installed) is warped. Remove your cap and look at it. If it's egg shaped, get a new one. Is your oil "milky"</end quote></div>

This only caused loss of coolant right? Nothing to do with coolant/oil mixing.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PatsPolarisPage

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 94harley

I have ran into similar issues and found the filler neck(where the rad cap is installed) is warped. Remove your cap and look at it. If it's egg shaped, get a new one. Is your oil "milky"</end quote></div>

This only caused loss of coolant right? Nothing to do with coolant/oil mixing.</end quote></div>

Yes you're right. It didn't have anything to do with the coolant and oil mixing. I was leaning towards head gasket there.
The filler cap problem seemed to me it wouldn't allow the cooling system to build pressure correctly and you had to keep adding. You would think it would fill up eventually, I know. I replaced the filler neck on more than one and they never called back with that problem again. I don't know where it went, but it cured the issue.

I have also seen a bunch of 700's that would leak past the water pump hose(had brand new ones out of the crate do it) A few more turns on the clamp and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: 700 losing coolant