Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 losing coolant

Just as a Heads up I drained the Oil out of my machine to see what it looked like, Looked Dark, Thin and Smelled a bit gassy. Not being that familiar I took ALL of the drained oil to my local dealer, and asked them to look at it. He told me that Polaris Oil(s) are greenish coming out of the bottle 0W-40 is water-like and that My oil looked like it had about 3 hours on it. This guy knew his stuff. I asked him, well then where is my coolant going, I dont think I am burning it, and if its not in the oil, where is it???? He replied.....ready for this.... Polaris does NOT allow enough room in their expansion bottles for expansion. <span class="FTHighlightFont">If you fill the expansion bottle to the Max Mark, when it gets hot it will just purge it throgh the overflow tube. He went one step further to say that, even when they get machines in for routine service, if the coolant is resting on the low mark they will not top them off, and he tells all new buyers to run them with the coolant at teh MIN mark. I was relieved to say the least[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]</span ft>

Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 losing coolant

I finally got my ATV back from the dealer. It cost a little more than I expected, but he did have to machine the head, and I got a new dual pipe to replace the stock one.
I took it for an initial ride and let the fan run and shut off a couple times. Before the ride the coolant was at just above the MIN level, then while riding it went just past the MAX level. After cooling over night it shows the coolant just below the MIN.
I'm hoping it just hiccuped some air bubbles out and that it's not leaking into the oil. I'll take it for a few more rides and keep an eye on the coolant then drain the oil and see if any has gotten in.
Fingers Crossed it's fixed.