Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 700 SP Twin clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 12:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 700 SP Twin clutch noise

Hi, new to this forum.

I just bought a new 07 700 Sportsman Twin EFI.

Got it home and noticed a "clattering" noise when in high gear. The noise happens when letting off the throttle, coasting a little and then giving it the gas. Happens in both 2WD and AWD.

Took it back to the dealer and had him ride it, he said it was normal centrifigal clutch noise.

Other than that, its a beast. Runs great and a lot of fun. Just makes the noise when letting off the throttle and when hitting the gas again.

Does anyone else have this clattering noise?

Old 04-18-2007 | 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

After awhile you wont even here it no more.Your dealer is right.

Old 04-19-2007 | 10:15 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Bill

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

This noise is killing me. I've had it for less than a week and it just doesn't seem right for a brand new machine to make this kind of clanking and clattering.

I called the dealer back to ask about it again and asked if I could come in and ride another just to ease my mind. He said the 600s and 700s both had the same clutch and made the same noise. The 800s however, had a different clutch and didn't make the clattering. He then said that they were out of the 600s and 700s and didn't know when they would get any more in. My paranoia meter immediately red-lined. Add to that, this dealer, I've since learned, has a terrible reputation for customer service.

Are there any other '07 700 owners out there that have this?

Please, help. Please either ease my mind that there is nothing wrong with this bike or convince me (which wouldnt take much) to take it back.

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought mine 3 weeks ago and have the same noise I really notice it the most when I let off gas and and turn. My dealer here in Indiana says it is no problem with the machine all of them do it I also thought about taking mine back to have him listen for himself to ease my mind also since they dont come cheap

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Taking a guess here but what I think you are hearing is the ebs ( eng braking system)

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CountyLiner
This noise is killing me. I've had it for less than a week and it just doesn't seem right for a brand new machine to make this kind of clanking and clattering.

I called the dealer back to ask about it again and asked if I could come in and ride another just to ease my mind. He said the 600s and 700s both had the same clutch and made the same noise. The 800s however, had a different clutch and didn't make the clattering. He then said that they were out of the 600s and 700s and didn't know when they would get any more in. My paranoia meter immediately red-lined. Add to that, this dealer, I've since learned, has a terrible reputation for customer service.

Are there any other '07 700 owners out there that have this?

Please, help. Please either ease my mind that there is nothing wrong with this bike or convince me (which wouldnt take much) to take it back.
Just to let you know the 07 700's have the same primary clutch as the 800's. If you think theres really something wrong make your dealer take off the clutch cover and inspect you clutches and belt.

Old 04-21-2007 | 07:01 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Lineman, I'm a little (not a lot) reassured hearing that I'm not the only one with this noise. This is my first ATV also. Even if this is normal, it kinda sucks to have a brand new machine that sounds like a gravel bucket. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a major flaw with the '07s.

And, Speeddrive, like I said, this is my first ATV so I really don't know, but it seems like you can 'feel' the ebs when it kicks in and the noise doesn't coincide with it.

To his credit, the head mechanic at the dealership told me to bring it back in after a month of normal riding and he would inspect it. You can bet I'll take him up on it.

Thanks again, all.

Old 04-21-2007 | 07:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

county, most of the polaris sportsman do make weird noises and o take time to get use to. most likey the mise is normal.if there something really wrong you would know it in a hurry. they also have alot of drivetrain noise which is also normal. try to ride it and enjoy. if the noise gets worse then take it back.

Old 04-21-2007 | 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Liner relax its the nature of the beast...Your ok just ride....

Quick Reply: 07 700 SP Twin clutch noise