Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 sportsman 700 sputters at high rpm, help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 sportsman 700 sputters at high rpm, help?

Hey guys, I have a 06 Sportsman 700 efi. It has about 12 hours on it so far, I went out today and bought a new UNI air filter and all the oil to do the first oil change on the quad ever. I threw on the new UNI air filter and took the bike for a spin and I noticed when I gave the quad full throttle it sputters at about 4,000 rpm. It drives fine and half throttle and does not sputter at all from a roll. So I thought maybe the new air filter was casuing a problem. So I threw the old stock filter back on and took it for another spin. Sure enough, same result.. off the line it takes off with plenty of power at full throttle, then when it gets to about 4,000 rpm it sputters (feels like it cuts out for a second, then keeps going). I have no idea what is going on, It has never done this before. Could the spark plug be bad? kinda odd for a brand new quad, but anything is possible.

I need some help or input from people who might have had this same problem or might have heard of this? I did not buy the aftermarket warranty and since I have not done the first oil chagne it should still be under factory warranty.

Nee some help guys.. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

throw the stock air filter back in to see if it still does it. maybe its either running too rich form to much oil or to lean from not enough. just a thought.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Trailblazer

I tried that, it still cuts out at 4,000 rpm.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it is the same sound or acts the same way like when you back up w/out using the override and it hits the limiter? just wondering maybe its the rev limiter cutting in.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

Its kinda odd, not really like when your backing up. Cause that is sputtering the whole time, The bike runs great until its give WOT and hit about 4k rpm. Then it feels like the whole bike cuts out for a second and then resumes power through the rest of the power band.

A few years ago, I had Z/28 camaro that would do the same thing. I took it in and the plugs were fouled. Maybe its the same thing?

Old 04-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I read of a similar problem with a UNI filter where the extra oil fouled up a sensor in the EFI. I think the guy cleaned it to get rid of the oil in the intake, went out and road the hell out of it and its back to normal.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

^^^ what would I need I clean though? The filter was on for maybe 2 minutes before I took it off and put the stock filter back on.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

Just got done riding thembike again, now its starting to sputter less but its still doing it none the less. My local dealer's service department is closed on sunday and monday so I wont be able to take it in untill tomorrow.

I could still use some more opions though.. Thanks guys.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Oaklandr8ersfan: Sorry to hear about your problem.I have also heard the same thing happing about using to much filter oil.I wounder if you put in some fuel injector cleaner like for an automobile if it would clean it up after riding around for awhile.I think it would be worth the try. I use a K&N and worry evertime about using to much oil spray. Mudrooster

Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

Oakland fan - I had the exact same issue on my 05 700efi. In my case the snorkle that goes upward from the forward top portion of the air box cover was jamming into the foam material at the rearward portion of the gas tank. Art least for the 05 there is a piece of foam back there with a cut out for the snorkle to go through. At any rate check to ensure there is no plugging of any sort on the air intake. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 06 sportsman 700 sputters at high rpm, help?