Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sportsman wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman wont start

hey

i went out to start my quad today and wont start up with the butten. the buttin works but when i press up on it well it seems that my battery was dead but i used the rip cord and it started right up . so i figured that the battery was dead so i took the bike for a few runs around the yard and let it charge up . so i shut it off and tried again to start the quad up but still wont . all i can hear is a clicking .

so i have no clue what this can be . do anyone know what this is or had experienced it ?

please let me know thanks.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Trailblazer

your battery will no longer hold a charge even if u charge it with your atv, you can try to put it on a battery charger on low current, if that doesn't work, you will have to replace the battery

Old 05-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Trailblazer

Test your battery on something to see if it has a charge if it does you could have a bad spot in your starter like my Honda had, 50% of the time when i start my old honda it clicks but the battery is fine, and figured out it was a bad starter.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

batteies last about 4 to 6 yrs so it might be getting bad. test the voltage w/ a meter to read what it has. it should be at least 12.5 volts when off and when running it should read around13.5 and up to 14.5 volts. if not then its not charging. make sure there is fluid in the batt. as well and dont have adry cell. if it does have adry cell then chances are the batts. junk. i would fully charge it, if its not, and then try it again. if it still clicks then try jumping the solenoide wires w/ key on to bypass the solenoide. if it turns over then thats the problem.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys for your help the batt. is about 4-6 years old cause its the original one that came on the bike. i went out today and it still wont start so i looked at the batt lugs on the batt and one of the lugs was broke off in the batt so i wiggled it arounf and came out in my hand ha ha . when i took the batt out of the bike and inspected it one of the cells had no acid in it and was leaking . so i have to go and buy a new batt tomorrow from Costal marine .

thanks guys for your help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey look at me! A newby used the search funtion!!! lol

Anyway, this is the same thing I'm getting on my no start condition. It just clicks. I took the battery in to get tested and it said it was good but needed charging. I bought a 1.5 amp slow charger still get the same thing. When I tested the battery with a volt meter, I get right at 12 volts and about 14.3 when it's running so I guss it's safe to say it's charging. I tried the solenoid jumper method (I remember this trick from my old Ford truck)but nothing happens. I didn't think this solenoid was any different from a car solenoid in terms of basic function. Any thoughts on why it won't start by jumping the solenoid?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the starter most likley
, the same thing happened to me yesterday it has been working fine , i shut it off at the trailer and no electric start, pull started right up, After riding awhile the electric worked once and awhile then i winched a few quads outta the mud and had to pullstart it from then on. after i got home i put in my spare battery and click... traced it down to the starter had water/sludge in it i cleaned / dry'd everything sanded the armature where the brushes go with 600 and reassembled and it worked fine
i ride alot of mud/water and this happens usually once every year or two clean it good, check the brushes, lube the bendix, and i bet it will work

Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Itch! I'll check that out. I just rechecked the battery this morning. It was fully charged and I still got the click. Mine was doing what yours did too. It wouldn't start by electric on occasion. I'd pull start it and run it for a while then it would start just fine. That's what led me to think it was the battery. But after my first mud trip, it pretty much quit for good that day.

Is there an easy way to remove the starter? I'm guessing it comes out from the left side. I'm mechanically inclined but never worked on a quad...just older F150's and my fox body mustang. Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yer gonna have to ask the 4 stroke guys about that one ,
mines a 2 stroke 400 and the starter drops out the bottom after removing 2 bolts under the pullstart and 2 on the bottom starter mount but i'm sure yours is differant

Old 07-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I got the starter out and apart. It did look pretty bad inside. One of the brushes seems to be chipped and doesn't have any spring tension to it, gunk all in there. I cleaned the armature, dried it all up and put it back together but still just getting clicks. I'm still torn between battery failure or starter failure. I can afford to buy either one but not both right now. Since a car battery is 12v, can I jump it with a car and see if it starts up? Can I take the starter back off and see if it engages with a jump from a car battery? Thanks again for your help.

George