Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oops - Oil Pump Stopped Working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oops - Oil Pump Stopped Working?

I need a little help. I just bought a 2005 Polaris Trailblazer and while in a hurry to get out on the dunes I grabbed Polaris 2 cycle engine oil - instead of gas oil and put it in the reservoir for the mixture. While I was out on the dunes it stopped running. I suspected what I had done and when we got home - sure enough. I took the quad apart - changed the plug, drained the mixture reservoir and all hoses to the pump and up to the carb. Drained the carb and put it back together. It still won't start - Help - what did I miss?

2005 Polaris Trailblazer 250

Old 05-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oops - put engine oil in gas

Do a compression test - a good condition 250 should have between 120 and 130 pounds compression - anything below 100 needs serviced .

Polaris engine oil is not supposed to be used in an injector , however, it isn't neccessarily a death sentence for the engine . I had friends that had an old injected motorcycle when I was a kid - they ran used diesel engine oil in the injector for years with no problems . (not that it is a good idea)

Rick Ritter

Old 05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

It ran like a champ before hand - lot's of power. It even ran good on the dunes until the engine oil started mixing with the gas and it just died. Went through all the stuff above and nada. I noticed that when I put everything back and refilled the gas oil reservoir that the oil did not make it to the carb at all - is there way to ge the oil to the carb (prime)?

Old 05-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Afternoon dbenavidez
Fuel filter ??

Old 05-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would that be an issue? I can change it no challenge - but I took a quick peek at it and I turned the fuel off and drained the carb - when I opened the fuel back up it came right through - I can tell I am getting gas - I have not checked for spark though. I did change the plug, but if there is no spark it wouldn't help.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Putting the oil in the gas tank would not have hurt the engine. It would make fouled plugs more likely due to excess oil, but it would not hurt the engine. If you ran the oil tank dry, well then yea it would destroy the engine.

First off, check for spark. If you have spark & are getting gas to the carb and it still won't run, do like others have said, compression test it.

You keep referring to gas/oil reservoir. There is not gas/oil reservoir, they are two separate tanks. The gas & oil don't go together in the gas tank like old 2-strokes. You put straight gas in the gas tank & the 2-stroke oil goes in the tank on the front of the quad, in the "hood".

I'm not insulting you here, I just hope you know the difference.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is what your trying to say is.........You put 4-cycle oil in the oil tank that should take 2-stroke oil!!...........................Correct.......Cape r..........

Old 05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im still trying to figure out what he put in the oil tank. he says he used 2 cycle which is what your suppose to use for a stroke, but wondering if he ment he put a premix(gas/oil mixture) in to the oil res. instead of straight oil? if so you better do waht rick says and do a compression test first.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No.....He said he grabbed Polaris 2-cycle engine oil instead of gas oil and put it in the reservoir for the mixture??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????...since when do you put gas/oil in any reservoir?..........Caper.......My old 1977 Ski-Doo TNT needed mixed gas.........LOL...LOL...

Old 05-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi guy's - thanks for all the input. I am really a newbie when it comes to working on these. Also, you can't insult me - trust me I can use every bit of insight you have.

To clarify my already confusing post (apology), I did put 2 cycle oil in the reservoir - so there was no issue with that as I had previosly tried to explain. There is no issue with that - I did all that work to find ot I had put the correct oil in the correct reservoir and no premixing involved. I just jumped to that conclusion because it just so happened I had topped off the reservoir with new oil and the engine just died out on the dunes like I had run out of gas...

It turns out that I am getting no fuel - I have spark, checked the fuel (filter not plugged) there is fuel to the carb - but from there? It turns over but will not start. Ideas?

How do I do a compression test?

Quick Reply: Oops - Oil Pump Stopped Working?