Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plastic Fender fix ups ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK i bought a used ATV and even though it was green the moron that had it before me painted the fenders "camo" (well you could call it that, but its just green and black spray paint swirled on it, looks like S***). Understandably the 16,000 white/red WARNING! stickers polaris smacks on it did give it away a bit. I tried some diluted paint remover and it didnt work to well and im afraid to use any stronger remover incase it will damage the plastic chemically. I tried to sand it off a bit with xtra fine sandpaper but it looks "scratchy" in the test spot? Is there a way to buff it after I sand? I also saw some Plastic Repair stuff in Rocky Mountian's catalog. Does this stuff work? Should I try to fix em up, or should i just spring the 500 or so bucks to get complete new plastic/stickers? Does anyone make aftermarket plastic for Sportsman 400's?

Old 12-26-2000, 11:42 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Im not sure about the chemical route, but if you could get your hands on a 3200 PSI pressure washer you could probably blast it off easily. ususlly paint doesnt like to stick the plastic stuff anyway, unless its the cheap aftermarket stuff.

I have not used the plastic renew but read an article about it in one of the quad magazines. They say it works. And also mentioned that the more you work at it (elbow grease, sanding etc.) the better it works. gj

Old 12-26-2000, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

My friend tried some of that plastic renew after he rolled his raptor(was climing a big hill in the pits, got scared and let off it, then gassed it again), and it works good on all the scuffs and scrapes, but didn't do much for the deep(I mean deep) gouges. I'm gonna try some on the outer edges of my fenders where branches like to scatch them on the way by.

Old 12-26-2000, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

The plastic renew works pretty well but won't repair deep scratches as Fasternu already stated. You basically just wet-sand the scratches out with progressively finer grades of sandpaper. Then it has a seal coat that is applied for a shiny finish. If you do it right it takes awhile though.

Old 12-27-2000, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hmm, Ok well so far I have to say I think the pressure washer is a VERY good idea. You can kinda tell that the paint doesent really want to stick to the plastic in thin areas, only in the thick paint areas does it stay on (and on the stickers themselves). Thats partly the problem, it looks all splotchy. And as my buddy actually owns a pressure washing business, I have access to a heated unit. This is going to be my first step. Ok this leads us to a couple more questions:
1. Has anyone actually painted thier fenders? What kind of paint did you use so that it DID stick? Sanding neccessary? Finish coat?
2. How do you get the stickers off the palstic? Will something like "goof off" damage the plastic chemically? It says not to use it on plastic,so is there something else I can use to get all the sticker and residue off?

Old 12-27-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

cerebral

I tried several things to get the ugly stickers off my Magnum. I bought a bottle of sticker remover at Walmart. Didn't work well. I put brake fluid on the stickers and left it all night. Worked marginally well. I have tried brake cleaner, WD 40, and Gumout (what the heck, I had it in the garage). None worked worth a darn. I finally got my wife's hairdryer (when she wasn't home of course) and heated the stickers up. To my suprise, they peeled right off. I then used WD 40 to remove any remaining sticky residue. Not sure what to use to get the paint off. If the pressure washer doesn't work, stop at a local body shop. They may be able to tell you what will take the paint off without damaging the plastic. Hope this helps.